Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Robbo77

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6
G'day all.

Vehicle: 2014 VF SV6 - LFX 6 speed auto
Issue: buggered centre uni-joint causing shuddering etc.

Questions:
-would anyone happen to be from around the general area and know of any or where to go for a good second hand tailshaft/installation etc.
-from which vehicles would a second hand shaft fit mine (VF I/VF II, wagon, ute, auto/manual, SV6/Evoque/SS etc. even VE's would the shaft from a VE fit a VF etc.) If anyone has knowledge on this.
-Can the centre uni-joint alone be fixed/replaced? Or is it correct that the entire shaft must be replaced
-Is it best to install an all new shaft or try to find a decent condition second hand shaft from a wreckers or the likes? - what should be expected reasonable pricing?

My mechanic has told me that the centre uni-joint of my Tailshaft is buggered. This is the suspected cause of a shuddering effect whilst driving the car and I'm wanting to get it fixed as I've been dealing with it a while now.
Enquiries with Holden resulted in the advice that the entire tail shaft must be replaced as they reckon they're unable to replace the uni-joint alone. They quoted $1200 for a new shaft and roughly $200 install.
Not wanting to spend this much so prefer to go second hand but not wanting to get ripped off or receive another shaft in poor condition.

Thanks a lot for the time and appreciate any advice.
Cheers

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
$200 install.. for a 20 minute Job? (and no, the exhaust does not need removing)
wow...

if you were here (Melbourne) I would suggest a chat with Hardy Spicer who make them
but
surely the GC would have somewhere that repairs/fixes/balances tailshafts? Google?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Pretty sure the VE centre bearing was replaceable. Not sure why they would have changed it, just on the last model of RWD Dore.