Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden Commodore Issues and Faults

SARRAS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Commodore SSV Redline 6MT
Hi, I drive a 6 Speed Manual VF Storm SV6 sedan, I have had it since June last year. It now has 40,000 ks on it. Firstly I want to say that it's a great car, however the part that worries me is first gear at times. Sometimes sitting at the lights when I'm about to drive off I go to put it in First and won't go in, then after a few times, it does. It's like that gate ain't open. Am I the only one with this drama?

Just to give you a hint from another universe... my last car was an RX-8 and they all had a 'factory fill' of synthetic gearbox oil which was scheduled for change at 70,000 klms in the handbooks. HOWEVER, everyone I've ever heard of with an RX-8 started having first and second synchro problems at 30-40,000 klms and those that investigated their oil situation themselves found that the original fill had turned to watery brown muck by this mileage so they changed it. New oil, problem gone. Those who stuck to the schedule at dealer servicing basically had stuffed gearbox by the time the 70,000 klms change came around. Holden has a 'lifetime fill' on the gearbox oil as far as I can tell, which is probably as optimistic as Mazda's attempt, but the hint here is change the oil and see if your problem goes away - it'd be a cheap and easy solution. Audis and Volkswagens have the same problem with their automatics and DSGs - 'lifetime fill' is just not for the real world.

Last edited:

POSOMM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
HI All, I have a 2013 Calais V, auto, 20" rims & loving it to death over my previous VE Calais V.
I was wondering if they have found a definite fix for the climate control yet?
Really annoying when the temp doesn't change much between 20-28C. You either have cold air or full heat nothing in between.
It is really giving me the shits when you can set the temp at 25C both sides. Driver (me) freezes & passenger gets nice warm air. Or on a hot day all you get is full cooling with no control.

But really loving the better acceleration, smother change. Except the back end is a little light & can get loose sometimes.

Thanks for any responses all. :)

Corey2121

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Calais V
I'm new to this site I have a vf calais v 2014 and today I had my friend pick me up in it from work he got out side to wait for me with accessories on but didn't have the engine running I got out of work and we went to start the car and nothing it wouldn't start and it wouldn't turn the accessories off the screen was on the radio was on and it wouldn't turn off as much as we pressed the start button I have had it from May this year and it is the second time it has done this

AnotherSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline Sportwagon
CLS1980 / Sarras Not bad advice on the gearbox oil, but I would check the adjustment on the clutch first, I'm not sure what sort of actuator the V6 manual uses but a clutch lever/rod/cable that is just a little off will make it hard to get into first gear because the input shaft hasn't been disengaged.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
CLS1980 / Sarras Not bad advice on the gearbox oil, but I would check the adjustment on the clutch first, I'm not sure what sort of actuator the V6 manual uses but a clutch lever/rod/cable that is just a little off will make it hard to get into first gear because the input shaft hasn't been disengaged.

No adjustments available on the clutch, fully hydraulic setup. Make sure there's enough fluid in the brake/clutch res and that's about it.

I'm new to this site I have a vf calais v 2014 and today I had my friend pick me up in it from work he got out side to wait for me with accessories on but didn't have the engine running I got out of work and we went to start the car and nothing it wouldn't start and it wouldn't turn the accessories off the screen was on the radio was on and it wouldn't turn off as much as we pressed the start button I have had it from May this year and it is the second time it has done this

Did you have the steering wheel turned up against the lock? Sometimes the electric steering column lock can bind just like the old key based setup - turn the wheel one way and try, if not turn it the other way and try again.

SV6 sedan Hire car I had a month ago in Brisbane had it but my new ute didnt do it. Maybe its just the utes that had the issues.

Missed this. There was a service update campaign (so like a recall but you won't get a letter, will get done as vehicles come into dealerships) to update the module software due to a but in MY15 utes.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I have discovered a fault with our VF.

Dealer service departments.

The place we bought it from wasn't too bad, I took it there for the first service because we had a couple of cosmetic warranty items that needed doing. It was a long way from home, I told them what needed doing over the 'phone ... then when we went to pick it up, they asked when we were going back to get those parts replaced. I thought this was normal until the dealer who replaced the same parts yesterday had them within the day. Not to mention the burned-oil smell; it bothers me if I spill oil on anything hot during an oil change, but I don't do it for a living.

But said 2nd dealer also managed to scratch trim plastic, put filthy handprints all over the otherwise-immaculate paint, and I had to reassemble the steering column myself due to the scraping sound the new wheel was making on the column (and which you couldn't fail to notice when driving the car, eg. to move it from the workshop to the car park).

My loyalty to The Rev Doctor at Hornsby had been starting to falter ... fixed-price servicing, free shuttle buses, even mobile service vans so there'd be no inconvenience at all. But now I know full-well where it's going for servicing from now on, and it ain't a Holden dealer. I really, really hope there's no need for any more warranty work ...

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Ever removed your front seats?

There's been a recall notice for the front seat sensor...

GM Holden Ltd—VF Commodore/WN Caprice – Seat Position Sensor
PRA number: 2015/14941
Date published: 7th October 2015

Product information

Product description
Model Year 2014 VF Commodore Sedan / Ute / Wagon & WN Caprice
Identifying features
Affected Build Range is from: 6G3NT5E20EL902287 to 6G1FB5E35EL008990
Affected Production Dates: 8 APR 2014 to 17 SEP 2014

What are the defects?
If the driver’s seat base has been replaced for any reason, the seat position sensor may be inoperative. If the vehicle has an inoperative seat position sensor, has the driver’s seat adjusted to a forward position and is involved in an accident that requires deployment of the frontal airbags, the airbag will deploy with marginally more force than intended.
What are the hazards?
In the case of a crash that requires deployment of the frontal airbags, there is the potential for increased occupant injury.
Where the product was sold
Nationally

Traders who sold this product
All Holden dealers nationally
Supplier
GM Holden Ltd
What should consumers do?
Holden will write to all affected customers to notify them of required action.

SARRAS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Commodore SSV Redline 6MT
I think I'm having a "Duh!" moment here... I have a 2014 built MY15 SSV Redline and I've just noticed that the stitching in on the steering wheel is black whereas all the other stitching in the car is red. Should a SSV Redline have red stitching on the wheel?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Our M14 Redline wheel doesn't have red stitching.