Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF II SSV Steering Issue

ol smokey

Reaction score
Members Ride
'82 VH wagon, '97 VT wagon, now '17 SS VF2 wagon
I'd be interested to see what sort of sensor they use. Optical? Magnetic? If it uses actual physical contacts I'd swap it over immediately.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
And here’s me thinking slicks make the car drive better in the dry :p:p:p
Ha Ha my rears now have no tread on the outside of both rears but a nice set in the garage on my spare set of rims.:)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I'd be interested to see what sort of sensor they use. Optical? Magnetic? If it uses actual physical contacts I'd swap it over immediately.

Wandering steering can be a sign of a failing steering sensor... not just of a sensor in need of some calibration.

Paulo77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
So I've spoken to Heartland Holden Blacktown today. He said they've done multiple alignments, and he's sent it back after a test drive as the steering wheel was sti not level. He said he just needs to give it another test drive and hopefully I'll pick it up this afternoon.

But here's the thing. They've had the car for 2 weeks. Yep, 2 full weeks. I told them there's no rush as I've just had surgery and couldn't drive anyway.....but the fact he's telling me they've done multiple alignments over 2 weeks and he still wasn't happy tells me he accepts there is an issue. As others have said, and after my own research on this forum, I don't believe the issue is faulty connectors as per series I racks. But if Holden themselves can't get the steering wheel perfectly level while driving straight during the 2 weeks they've had it, it means there IS a problem somewhere, a mechanical issue somewhere between the column and rack or maybe a faulty SAS?

Will update when I (hopefully) drive it this afternoon

Paulo77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
So got the car back last Friday but haven't had much of a chance to drive it, due to being off work post surgery.

But.....at one point on the way home I was actually holding the wheel level while driving straight, but only for around 30 seconds or so, until the weight changed while i changed lanes getting ready to turn.

Again, it's better, but it's not where it should be. I did ask about the steering angle sensor and he laughed and said it couldn't be that. Not sure what to do now