Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Key Fob Battery Replacement Instructions?

vol800

Vader
Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice-V
Hi everyone, I just answered my own (original) question on how to replace the VF/WN Key Fob battery and it COULD NOT BE EASIER. It is easier than the VE series!!!

I've linked a video-

But if the link doesn't work then;
1) Hold the KeyFob and flip out the key.
2) Turn the key fob over in your hands so that the holden logo is facing up and the extended Key 'pointing' to your right.
2) Hold the Fob so that your right thumb is over the holden logo and your left thumb is pushing into the left hand side of the groove that the key locks away into when not flipped open.
3) Twist your left thumb up and away from your body and your right thumb down and towards your body and PRESTO. the battery cover clicks off with very little pressure.
4) Replace with a $3 CR2032 button battery and DO NOT pay your dealer $18 for a 10 second job...

Last edited by a moderator:

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
I have a good relationship with my dealers service centre at Glendenning (part of Heartland Holden Blacktown) They guy who did it took less than 2 minutes and did it free gratis. They Blacktown spare parts Dept wanted $18 to supply and fit the new lithium battery (CR2032) !!!! So I got the battery from Jaycar Electronics for $2.95 (single) as all the majors had them in packs of 2 and 4 and I would be wasting my money. I wouldn't try it yourself, yes I saw the vid's on YT for VE's but it's a different type of fob. They cost a lost to replace I bet if you buggered them up trying to open them yourself.

I would approach the service manager and ask nicely to do it for you.. You would be a HVC (high value customer) and clearly they want to keep goodwill, especially if you always go there for your services.

The warning screen on the dashboard told me the battery needed replacing, this is why I knew it was near its end. Mine is nearing 3 years old too.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I have a good relationship with my dealers service centre at Glendenning (part of Heartland Holden Blacktown) They guy who did it took less than 2 minutes and did it free gratis. They Blacktown spare parts Dept wanted $18 to supply and fit the new lithium battery (CR2032) !!!! So I got the battery from Jaycar Electronics for $2.95 (single) as all the majors had them in packs of 2 and 4 and I would be wasting my money. I wouldn't try it yourself, yes I saw the vid's on YT for VE's but it's a different type of fob. They cost a lost to replace I bet if you buggered them up trying to open them yourself.

I would approach the service manager and ask nicely to do it for you.. You would be a HVC (high value customer) and clearly they want to keep goodwill, especially if you always go there for your services.

The warning screen on the dashboard told me the battery needed replacing, this is why I knew it was near its end. Mine is nearing 3 years old too.

Good old CR 2032 battery is used in so many devices today and it good they pick a battery that is widely available

vol800

Vader
Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice-V
Hi Roganjosh, I found out how to do it and edited my thread with a video and instructions- I'm kicking myself it's so easy! cheers.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Thanks for posting

tranquilized

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0l
What does the little slot inside the centre console glove box that holds the key fob do? For some reason I was under the impression it charges the battery.

vol800

Vader
Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice-V
What does the little slot inside the centre console glove box that holds the key fob do? For some reason I was under the impression it charges the battery.

The little slot doesn't charge the battery in the Key-Fob - the CR2032 batteries in the fobs are NOT rechargeable. What it's for is if the battery in the fob is so low that car is not detecting the keys as being in the car (so that it won't start) you can place the fob into that slot and even if the battery in the keyfob is almost dead there should be enough reception in there for the car to detect the fob and allow you to operate it. Not sure if uses a little RF in there to ping off the keyfob's board (like those security stickers you sometimes see on store goods) or if the receiver aerial is close to there so that housing the fob in it even with weak battery still works... either way- that's what it's for.

tranquilized

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0l
oh cool, cheers. I didn't realise what kind of battery was in them until I read this thread which is what made me question it.

Rollin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Walky rep, VF SV6 Sportwagon
Bloody brilliant! I was on youtube looking at some other vids thinking 'holy crap' then saw this.

mitweiler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V S1 6L
Bringing up an old thread, don't want to start a new one.

My car wouldn't start, kept cranking. I inserted the fob in the center console slot and it started. Engine light was also on (as well as my change oil msg soon, kept forgetting to reset it). I pulled the key out and tried to start and started no issue but still engine light was on and i checked the battery was at 12.7V. No message on screen saying fob battery was flat nothing. I reset the service for change oil, started car and no more engine light and battery was at 14 something volts.

I will replace fob battery but i am guessing that's all it was? and the engine light was due to "change oil reminder" ?