Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

key fob

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
On another note, have you got anything on the dash? A mat? A stupid decoration? A teddy? A soft toy?

If something is covering the domed thing in the centre of the dash at the base of the windscreen, you’re going to have a not fun time. That is the receiver for the remote.

xikerm61

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Seires 2 SV6 Z
so my brother had a voltmeter and brang it over we tested all the batteries all turned up to 3v, i dont have anything on my dash that would be blocking anything, im thinking maybe a faulty fob since its pretty old over 11 years it might of been on its way out

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe but without a diagnostic tool on it to see what the car is seeing, there won’t be anything more to check other than guess work and money.

There is one other thing to check

xikerm61

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Seires 2 SV6 Z
Maybe but without a diagnostic tool on it to see what the car is seeing, there won’t be anything more to check other than guess work and money.

There is one other thing to check
True sadly, thank you for the help though really appreciate it

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
If its a Sedan,
The Receiver (RFA) is under the Parcel shelf, Right side of the centre. (looking rearwards in the car)
(Have to take the whole back seat out, ask @SV607 , as I helped him out when he had to replace his RFA)

If its a Wagon,
The Receiver (RFA) is above the Head lining at the back hatch, left of the centre.

DONT get another Key Cut
DONT need another Chip

Just need a TX !

And programmed in.

Best to buy a whole Key on eBay, and just use the TX

Where are you located ?
Melbourne, where ?

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah if you want @krusing has the diag tool that can reconnect the key to the car or take a look at what the car is seeing.

He is a bit partial to a good cup of tea and some Monte Carlo biscuits. And maybe a bit of some sort of small remittance for his time. Much better than being ripped by someone who will dak you, give your balls a tug and hand you an invoice that would make your mum cry.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
so my brother had a voltmeter and brang it over we tested all the batteries all turned up to 3v, i dont have anything on my dash that would be blocking anything, im thinking maybe a faulty fob since its pretty old over 11 years it might of been on its way out

Depending on the age of the Remote Battery,
it could be measuring its surface voltage (not while under load, with out the button being pressed),
especially checking it with a digital multimeter.

I had a Remote fail when I did a road trip to Sydney a number of years ago, (I have a thread on this)
lucky I gave my wife the spare key, just in case I lost mine and/or it was damaged.
Keeping in mind, the car was still lockable with the Key.

I sourced a replacement complete Remote Key off a Locksmith in QLD (via ebay), he cut it to Code, posted it down
and I programmed it in,
And I am still using the said Remote Key still.
Otherwise the rest is history.

FYI: https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...hat-slowly-deteriorate-transmit-range.273637/

Last edited: