Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF MY15 about the car staying idle for a week or so

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Starting to learn a little more about the VF SV6 Storm as I get some more reading times to read all manuals but I would like for more experienced member to fill me in on how long will a VF 2015 MY15 stay in the garage resting without starting before the Battery becomes flat. Now I'm talking about a battery in good condition. Also I have overheard a discussion about disconnecting the battery on the VF and this is a NO NO. Can members please fill me in regarding these two important questions.

thanks

JTmofo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Sportswagon
It would want to be a lot more than a week..........
If you are leaving any vehicle for an extended period, get a battery tender or trickle charger.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
One of our cars is a 2009 Territory, and it can nearly flatten the battery in 2 weeks if not used. Have had it checked and there is no abnormal drain, bit of a mystery, but normal for these cars.
Since getting a $ 70 "Battery Fighter" charger, we've not had any further battery problems, and the charger can be left on for as long as you like.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
As JTmofo said in if it’s in for a long term stay a trickle charger is a good investment.

On an overnight basis because newer cars are full of electronics and I don’t know if this is the case for Commodores but BMW told me to lock my Beemer with the remote so as to put the bulk of the electronics asleep and it will double my battery life.

I now take this advice with all my cars as I had a habit of leaving them all unlocked.

I have a quite a few cars that sit around for weeks on end without being driven and don’t have problems starting them, in fact some start without effort after 6 months but if the rest starts to push into months then either drive them occasionally or get a trickler.

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
Could also try shipping Mode .... Puts the car to "Sleep" ...
2011-2015 Vehicle Procedure
To turn the Transport Mode On/Off, it will be necessary to start the engine, activate the hazard flashers, press the brake pedal (automatic transmission) or clutch pedal (manual transmission) then press and hold the Start/Stop button or turn the ignition key to the crank position for 15 seconds. The same steps are used to turn on the feature.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If I carry a trickle-charger around with me, while I be able to sit in the car & listen to the radio without interruption for more than 15 minutes? :bang:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Could also try shipping Mode .... Puts the car to "Sleep" ...
2011-2015 Vehicle Procedure
To turn the Transport Mode On/Off, it will be necessary to start the engine, activate the hazard flashers, press the brake pedal (automatic transmission) or clutch pedal (manual transmission) then press and hold the Start/Stop button or turn the ignition key to the crank position for 15 seconds. The same steps are used to turn on the feature.

Sorry for the late reply guys thanks to Telstra and no internet and we were told its going to be like this for another week or more.
Transport Mode sounds Interesting but I think I might connect the VF to my Projector Battery Charger system that I use for other older cars I have. I do have a spare Projector Battery conditioner battery charger and I might use it like my other cars with easy connect and disconnect waterproof connector. All I need now is to find the best place to put one of these waterproof connectors and to connect it to the battery with a fuse where the battery lives in the boot.

VZSV857

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 Built L77 M6 430rwhp
There's no issue with disconnecting the battery.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ What about your radio stations? And your MyLink settings?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ What about your radio stations? And your MyLink settings?

I was told all sort of nightmares on a VF when you disconnect a battery or disconnect a battery to replace it as if this is done you lose all memory (forget radio and other minor things) and you won't be able to start it, lock it and other terrifying things that could send me to drink if I did it.
Only Guys that have or had VF's can answer this for me and possible other people that have or about to buy a VF of any series.
If its only the Radio and Part of My link that become forgetful that ok but myself and other reading this would like to know are there any skeletons to be found and punished on just because I disconnect the battery just for a simple thing like I want to wire up a Battery Charging waterproof port for my Projector Battery Charger like I have on my Older Cars and a VZ Holden that have the works (electric you name it) in it.