Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lauren2905

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF commodore sv6
When I purchased my VF Calais in 2018 I wanted personalised plates too.

Originally I wanted to get my initials and birth year however it wasn't available. I ended up choosing the original number plate from my grandfather's truck which is the oldest number plate in our family's history in Australia dating back to 1952.

Rather than the traditional full size black digits on yellow background I went for the full size white digits on black background ABC 123 format with NSW at the top.

They look very nice with the car's silver colour and the number content reminds me of the old truck straight away.

I went for nostalgia rather than personalisation or relating it to the car itself ;)
Aw I really like that! Sometimes it’s nice to have a sentimental plate you can keep with you no matter what car you have

Louie Barbera

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE calais 2007
How about 4QALL or 4QAII, I was going to get these for my clubby but got my birth year and name instead as the Mrs wasn't to keen to be seen in it.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
too edgy for me, like most vanitys. needs that waterfall radiused

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
If its to impress people I don't see the point in personalised plates, i mean i respect some or like the idea, but some just seem really "TRYHRD" in their combos.
There is something nice to the 3 letters, 3 number combo.
But have to agree the nostalgia to some is also great for memories and the likes, definitely think thats a good idea. IE try keep the same rego plate from your first car all the way through.

Although in saying that, I've got 1 set of plates, which is the build number of the car, its subtle which is good, although was offered the model as plates and it seemed a bit much so turned them down.
And a few mates have them, but it is "personal" to them and when you get to know them it makes sense as it relates to their sports or simply their name and year of birth.

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
Ever since I got my license (just a few years ago now :p) I wanted the AA-123 classic white on black personalised plates for my car, SA-082. I couldn't get them because they were taken at the time. I remember seeing them on an Arnott's truck many years ago and realised why they had them. Most of their trucks had SA-0## format which resembled "SAO" after their famous biscuits. We didn't have the extensive range of plates that we have now so thats how they worked around custom content. Quite clever :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
I have the plates “NEMU” & “KIKYO” on normal WA plates, I actually like the normal WA format plate but just wanted my own letters... & some $400 to $500 later...

Both are just names of anime characters and have nothing to do with the car(s) themselves since I’m a weeb.

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
For those in NSW, I believe “1” is taken... Don’t know how much it‘d costs, if you can get it, but “4” sold at auction for $2.45M a few years ago...
I wonder if 1 in Roman numerals has been taken? Maybe no one has thought of that yet. The new owner could be sitting on a potential gold mine! :D

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
MMXVII is 2017. Legit. 6 digits. Go for it.
The small nape of neck tatt I have spells out my birth year ... MCMLXI .

@Lauren consider that if the VF is not going to be your forever car, then the plates you select should be easily transportable to any other car you come across over a lifetime, otherwise it's $500 or so wasted on one car — small change for people who splash out wildly on cars, but not something I would do when other cars are on the horizon. Imagine putting a plate that clearly references a Holden VF on e.g. a Subaru Forrester (just a random example). Wouldn't make much sense, even for nostalgics. For that reason, one's initials and birth year is an evergreen winner and will go with you everywhere on every car.

Custom plates in Victoria are contracted by VicRoads out to Corrections Victoria — made at two facilities: one near Geelong, the other at Ravenhall (Melbourne). It's a fascinating, skilled process. The most expensive plate ever is a $2 million gem owned by Peter Bartels on his puffin blue Merc ... first made in 1932, the number is just .... 1

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Maybe shopped?

FOrRQFj.jpg