Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sat Nav

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@dgp 3rd from the bottom indicates the latest maps ;)
So did you have to ask for the maps to be updated, did you have to pay for the update or did the service department just do it gratis without you asking about it?

I’m still waiting for an email from HCC... shouldn’t be this difficult really o_O

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
@dgp 3rd from the bottom indicates the latest maps ;)
So did you have to ask for the maps to be updated, did you have to pay for the update or did the service department just do it gratis without you asking about it?

I’m still waiting for an email from HCC... shouldn’t be this difficult really o_O

I had to request the update, they have to request it from Holden and I think it is VIN coded(???). And yes, I had to pay $126 as part of the service.

Juicifruitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 ssv redline
Mylink updates are free, but you may have to fight a little to get it for free, But the map updates they charge arm and a leg for maps 2 years outta date (or there abouts)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
As i have understood, Mylink updates generally fix issues with the system and generally don't provide feature updates. And since they generally fix faults, the owner of an in warranty vehicle should never have to ask for for the fault to be fixed - it should simply occur whenever the Dealer sees the vehicle in service.

Providing fixes is not a guesture of good will or somthing that needs to be fought for, it should simply be provided and is called customer service which seems to be a lacking behaviour within Holden and its Dealer network.

Now, if i sound pissed off, it's because i am. Yet again Holden Customer Care didn't call back as promised and that promised email that would authorise my map updates did not occur. With such piss poor customer service, i'd give back the MSE if any reason to do so occurs. They (manufacturer and dealer) have behaved like a sh!t company that simply does not deserve the $$ i payed them.

@dpg, unless HCC is telling me complete and utter lies, if your vehicel is < 6 months old, you should have gotten your map update for free... If your vehicle is < 6 months old, ring HCC and give them a blast and ask for them to arrange the dealer to provide a refund of the incorrectly charged amount.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Providing fixes is not a guesture of good will or somthing that needs to be fought for, it should simply be provided and is called customer service which seems to be a lacking behaviour within Holden and its Dealer network.
Without actually knowing what occurred ... I suspect it's entirely the end-result of bean-counting.
In this day & age it can't be that hard to allow an update to the car's user-interface computer/module via a simple USB stick and an upgrade app. But it'd have cost money to design something to do that, money Holden didn't have (or want to spend or whatever). So as a result it's a PITA to upgrade MyLink, a PITA which costs the dealer enough money every time they do it that they're reluctant to do it.

Wonder if the new MyLink version, the one in the ZB which they've only sold to rental companies, is more easily patchable? :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
No doubt it was GMH design choices with MyLink that lead to a shitty to work on product for the dealers but that’s no excuse for what should be a seamless and painless process from the owners perspective.

As it seems to be Holden policy to update maps on new vehicles < 6 months old, where new maps exist, my gripe is that it Holden should not allow a situation that creates customer dissatisfaction. When bean counting results in customer dissatisfaction, the end is near...

Holden need to sort out their back office systems so that the dealers do what is needed to keep customers happy and not have customers exposed to crap associated with poorly designed and thus difficult to maintain systems. Map updates for next to new vehicles should be an automatic process that dealer service departments are required to follow but I guess everything is in flux at GMH and they have little clue how to move forward (which will be another reason as to the cause of their demise).

Anyway, today I finally got the email form HCC authorising a map update for my vehicle that will force the dealer to get off their butt and do what should have been done at first inspection, i.e update the maps. Emails 2 days late and I need another trip to the dealer.

As for ZB MyLink, it would be good to know if iparts of the infotainment system can be retrofitted into VF but without access to technical bods within Holden, it’s impossible to know and HCC seems to have no process to connect customer questions to engineering. DAB+ Android Auto and Apple Careplay would be nice. As to MyLink updatability and whether it’s a big improvement from VF MyLink, only comment I can make is “its Holden we’re talking about” which in itself is a sad indictment against Holden.

Just waiting for confirmation on the free service associated with the rocker recall before i’m able to close this latest round of frustrations.

I think i’ll now go for a drive and enjoy the most redeemable feature of my V8 ;)

Ddavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII Calais (not Calais V) with satnav option
There is a way (other than not using/ignoring it like most suggest) - fit a non-nav headunit.

There’s a wreckers on ebay selling Evoke (blue display) headunit for $100 plus delivery. $150 for SV6/SS (red display) plus delivery. Then flash headunit using an OBDII module also on ebay from another seller for $125 ($50 refundable upon return of module).

This is what I’m currently in process of doing. You get up-to-date free map updates, and my gps unit has a 2ch crash cam (Navman Drive Duo). I now don’t need to have the radio on or another audio source selected just to use the nav either. Much better IMO.

Hi, I just saw your post, can you give me more information please? I'm interested in swapping my GPS (headunit?) out for something decent.
Have you got any further with your conversion?

TIA,
Davo.

M

mwb235

Hi, I just saw your post, can you give me more information please? I'm interested in swapping my GPS (headunit?) out for the something decent.
Have you got any further with your conversion?

TIA,
Davo.

94F098D3-B535-4550-829E-313612646F6D.jpeg
1576D864-0614-491F-9B12-B4425746AB66.jpeg

I got the Evoke headunit and fitted it. But there were a couple of issues. I unlocked it ok using a flash module from ebay. Firstly the headunit powered on ok but there was no sound at all. I believe my Calais V has a “signal” wire to turn on the amp, which is missing on the Evoke. And lastly, the heated front seat switches (which are wired through the screen) don’t work on a non-nav headunit. The wiring sockets are there at sides of screen but they aren’t connected or the firmware prevents it.

I also tried plugging in the Evoke non-nav controls/buttons (that have play/pause, tone, and fav) in place of my Calais V nav controls (nav, dest, and rpt) into my existing nav screen. That way I could lose the nav buttons which I won’t use anymore. BUT I found the Evoke buttons behaved as if they were still the Calais V ones (hope that makes sense). So like with the heated seat buttons, it seems to be all controlled through the screen’s circuitry. Very irritating.

So I’m stuck with my nav unit. I’ve still fitted my Navman Drive Duo with built in crashcam. I made a custom steel bracket so I don’t have to stick it to windscreen, so if I leave the navman in car, it is protected from direct sunlight in summer as I can still put up my foil sunshield without stuff getting in the way. Much more practical than windscreen mounts.

I’ve spoken via email with a guy from Lsxtreme Pty Ltd about this. They can remove both the Stitcher and Pandora icons from the home screen. He says so far he hasn’t been able to program a non-nav screen so that the seat heater switches work. I haven’t heard back from him for a couple of weeks but I still hope it might be possible.

In the meantime my OCD will just have to live with the useless factory nav and three useless nav controls/buttons, but as a consolation Lsxtreme can definitely remove Stitcher and Pandora which I will get them to do soon (I haven’t got a price yet). One thing’s for sure - I’m not paying Holden for two year old map updates and the added bonus of all the troubles that other members in this thread have had!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Great work @mwb235

I took a different tack, i’ve complained to Customer Care that Holden should release a MyLink update and remove the Pandora App from their system as every time someone uses MyLink, they are reminded of Holden’s incompetence. It can not be at all difficult for Holden to remove an App from MyLink.

As is, every time someone uses their MyLink, they are reminded of Holden’s incompetence as Pandora not work... Holden’s suggestion was that the user can customise what’s presented and remove the icon from the front screen. Sadly, when the user presses a source button, Pandora is an option which the user can’t remove and they are again reminded of Holden’s incompetence. Idiots really.

Sad that a 3rd party company, Lsxtreme, seems more reactive to Holden customer desires than Holden o_O :rolleyes: