Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series 2 V8 Fuel Consumption

jbcow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 redline sportwagon
My car is very new, just 250k on the clock. The average is 22l/100. That includes some traffic jams and some highways. About what I expected for the inner city.
I will update this again once I have a few thousand k's on the clock

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
Average after 10,500K's, VFII Redline auto sedan with W375 is 12.2L/100. combined heavy city traffic and freeway.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
1700kms

10.7 avgspeed 62.

VF2 SS manual, lightest VF2 V8 you can get

First 700kms geelong to adelaide

Leightonb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV REDLINE WALKINSHAW W547
Have the w547 kit on my redline.
Took it out for a track day at Wakefield.
Fuel economy 53 l/100km- lol

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
Hey Leightonb;

How do you find the W547? I'm still considering their W497 (doesn't get your cam)?

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Average speed 38.5kph and I get 15.4 L/100km over the first 3000km.

Tele

Reaction score
Members Ride
i30
In my SS VF II, I know the hand book recommends using "Premium Fuel" how ever i use 91ron is this going to be an issue at all? i'm currently getting about 13.6l/100km.. I put in 95Ron once when it was really cheap didn't notice any difference. Love the car it has about 9000kms on the clock =D i do mostly suburban driving very little highways.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The higher the octane rating the more efficient the fuel is, so in many cases you use more of the cheaper low octane stuff than the higher over the same distance and therefore the monetary value equals out in the end.

Plus the added advantage of the higher octane is better performance and a cleaner engine.

Why buy a V8 engine if you don't want it to perform at its best by putting cheap fuel in?

Luckily Holden make their cars for the lowest common denominator and make allowances for owners who ignore their recommendations for the vehicle and you'll get away with it.

If it was a performance Euro then they don't make allowances and the handbook tells the owner if they wish to run lower octane fuel on a regular basis not just in a one off emergency then the vehicle needs the tune remapped to suit.

The owner's manual for the Euros also tell you to top up the tank with high octane fuel as soon as possible and never harshly accelerate the vehicle while using low octane fuel otherwise :bomb:

Tele

Reaction score
Members Ride
i30
The only reason i ask is, i believe i would need to receive a fuel efficiency by using 98Ron of 14.2% that would mean getting around 11.5L/100Km's I do not believe this will be achievable driving the exact same way... I'm cheap skate I know but after crunching the numbers the extra cost of buying the better fuel doesn't add up. I will be save around $11 per tank of fuel if i use 91Ron. these figures are working of a 65L fill, with the difference of 16c/L from 91 to 98Ron.

So thats why i was asking apart form the Money savings what is the real difference apart from performance of the car which i don't think i would notice i'm not going to a race track. Is my engine going to blow or die in the next 5 to 7 yrs?

I will try 2 tanks worth of 98Ron see if i notice any performance difference to really justify the money savings.

Thanks guys my 2 cents worth lol

cdr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF Maloo R8
I have heard that the motor is optimised for 95 octane in the tune. However it will run on 91 with reduced performance safely, and has a low octane fuel table in the tune. HWP coppers in Vic run them on 91 due to the fact that fleet won't allow them to use high octane fuel. If you want to save money and still get the advertised performance run it on 95. In reality with normal street driving you probably won't notice much difference between 91 and 95.