Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sleeper

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
What is happening here ?

I already ordered one of this for you as a gift !

1000037192.jpg

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
I'm doing lots more walking without a car. I expect this rebuild process will take a few more weeks yet.

The block is out of the car and at the machine shop. Apparently it's queued up behind many other rebuilds.

The block still needs to be assessed for other damage and given the thumbs up for the rebuild and measured.

I'm still doing research and deliberating on a stroker or not. At this stage I'm leaning toward the stock 6.0L forged rebuild and bumping up the boost. The mechanic says we could get up to 15-16 psi safely and get a nice little increase.

Stroking would be cool though. I've always wanted. Why I don't know. This car is a money pit.

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
I'm also still looking at cams.

I contacted Kelford Cams for a specific cam recommendation. I filled out the details form and got this.

"What you’re asking for is kind of mutually exclusive in terms of performance vs sound.
I would recommend our SS108-C cam for your build. (228°/238° at 0.050″ | 116° Lobe Separation | .600″/.600″ Valve Lift)
The performance matches exactly what you’re after as well as having excellent driveability.
It will have a slightly cammed exhaust note but nothing crazy to it."

Tossing up many options.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
I'm doing lots more walking without a car. I expect this rebuild process will take a few more weeks yet.

The block is out of the car and at the machine shop. Apparently it's queued up behind many other rebuilds.

The block still needs to be assessed for other damage and given the thumbs up for the rebuild and measured.

I'm still doing research and deliberating on a stroker or not. At this stage I'm leaning toward the stock 6.0L forged rebuild and bumping up the boost. The mechanic says we could get up to 15-16 psi safely and get a nice little increase.

Stroking would be cool though. I've always wanted. Why I don't know. This car is a money pit.

All cars (modified mainly) are money pits. The way I justify it is its my thing. I don't drink or do drugs, i work hard and I love modifying cars.

Priorities for me, 1: Family, 2: health, 3: cars.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
I'm also still looking at cams.

I contacted Kelford Cams for a specific cam recommendation. I filled out the details form and got this.

"What you’re asking for is kind of mutually exclusive in terms of performance vs sound.
I would recommend our SS108-C cam for your build. (228°/238° at 0.050″ | 116° Lobe Separation | .600″/.600″ Valve Lift)
The performance matches exactly what you’re after as well as having excellent driveability.
It will have a slightly cammed exhaust note but nothing crazy to it."

Tossing up many options.
It is a money pit but it is something special that you enjoy.

Mine is due for a rebuild as well and when I mentioned to my wife she brought up that the car is getting old. My argument was , should I spend 10k rebuilding the engine and be a happy man or go to the dealer and spend 60k on something that I really not interested and come back home thinking about my old **** box.

I am sure on her ears it was "bla bla bla bla " but she got the ideia that 10K is less than 60k

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
for all honesty if u are keeping the alloy block then do minimal machining as u want to keep strength, only take the bore out if it needs it 0.005'' to make sure its straight and go from there, also if u want 16psi then keep stock cubes as less stress on the block, PD blower will always make torque down low so cubes arnt needed as u will over power any rear tires on the street anyway

this is a good comparison on only change being less cubes keeping everything alse the same

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
For me, with a street car/cruiser, reliability trumps more power every time

I could easily make more power in mine, as it is runs the biggest pulley that fits which has me at about 7 psi and around 500hp at the wheels, and all of that low rpm torques that stresses the Bejebus out of everything, but, I would lose the safety factor % that I'm happy with for the engine and drive line

Hell, even with only 500hp the car "needs" the RaceTCS to properly control traction on the street, if you don't have traction big power is pointless

I'm not saying I don't like like big power, I just don't like driving around in a car that is on the verge of eating it's engine or drive line, or, one that cannot actually put the power it makes down to the road

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
Some really good advice here. Thanks. I'm pretty much set now on sticking with 6.0L.

On the topic of reliability. I'm going to get forged pistons and rods.

I'm tossing up if I should go with a forged crank or just stick with the existing stock cast crank. I'm not going to be going be giving it high rpms. Want to make sure it is solid. The LSA has a forged crank for good reason.