Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS first modifications

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Bloke at working was mentioning to try a throttle controller. Are these any good or don't bother?

Some people swear by them.

Personally I'd rather get the throttle response improved via a good tune.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Yeah the throttle-controller is more about tricking your brain than improving performance ... there’s something to be said for feelings vs hard-numbers though. Is the goal to actually be faster, or is the goal to feel you’re getting more out of your car?

If the car feels like it’s more responsive, don’t see it’s necessarily a bad thing.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I'm not looking at buying one, but I liken them to better brakes as in they won't stop you any quicker if you stand on them, but the feel is improved. I guess the same applies roughly to a throttle controller. If it improves the expierience, why not?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Nah, better brakes WILL perform better. Either you’ll stop better in an emergency, or you’ll stop better a few times in a row.

The throttle controller is only about the feels. Nothing wrong with better feels of course, but it’s not like brake improvements!

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
In an emergency stop, I would think ABS and the amount of rubber you have on the road would dictate how quickly you stop, not how many pistons you have, but I'm happy to stand corrected. Obviously in all other situations better brakes are nicer.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Someone of the forum did TPMS upgrade
In an emergency stop, I would think ABS and the amount of rubber you have on the road would dictate how quickly you stop, not how many pistons you have, but I'm happy to stand corrected. Obviously in all other situations better brakes are nicer.
Brake performance is all about heat management.

Bigger rotors can better dissipate heat so cope well with repeated punishment whereas smaller rotors simply overheat the pad material and braking is compromised.

Heat also impacts how the calliper pressure is applied through the pad compound so more caliper pistons pushing on the pad backing plate tends to even out the force allowing the hot pad to do its job better. Some callipers even have different sized pistons to optimise pad pressure under extreme heat.

Yes, under a one stop situation, same car same tyres, a 6 piston calipers setup will have much the same stopping distance as a standard brake setup due to ABS. But the 6 pot setup would almost certainly have better pedal feel. Brake repeatedly and that’s where the real difference starts to show, where on a track it could mean the different between getting around the corned or running off the bitumen.

On the other hand, a throttle controller just does what you can do by just pressing the throttle further...

Flaggers

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VF SS
My next question is going to be tyre related. What kind of tyre seems to be the most popular on a VF SS around here and what kind of price range for a set of 4?

I've always just gone for shitty, as cheap as possible tyres, but obviously that's going to change now with a car that I assume will wheelspin pretty easily.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Ok, what I should have said in my op -

Just as one desires the increased pedal feel of high performance brakes, one may also find merit in manipulating the feel of the throttle to his or her liking.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I did a simple rotor and pad upgrade with braided brake lines on my ve ss and it definitely does stop better not just better pedal feel

Reactions: Lex

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
My next question is going to be tyre related. What kind of tyre seems to be the most popular on a VF SS around here and what kind of price range for a set of 4?

I've always just gone for shitty, as cheap as possible tyres, but obviously that's going to change now with a car that I assume will wheelspin pretty easily.

Michelin PS4S always gets good recommendations. They are next on mine, but I think there are stock issues currently