Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS Music Questions

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Thanks for that.

I read up on it and their are some good reviews on its speed and Woollies are selling it below RRP.

In fact I went into a Woolworths store today and notice they are 40% off for the next week... yes 32GB for $12. Unfortunately the store I went into only had the 16GB versions left... still good value at $10.

Davesumner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
You've sold me, just jumped on eBay and grabbed the exact one, cheers.

Time to load up on tunes now!

I have had several issues with USB music. I have had indexing go really slow and I have also had it where the last song that was played didn't come back on when I got back in the car, it would be something totally different. I asked at my local dealership and I was told that I should ensure that all the tracks were MP3 as other file types would cause the MyLink to get confused. So I changed all the files to MP3 and it didn't make any difference whatsoever. Then there was a MyLink update in 2017 and that changed what happened. So, then it would play what I had been playing the time before the last when I was in the car. Then I started to get some strange sounds like loud clicking and skipping of bits of tracks etc. So, I took my USB to my computer with the idea I was going to use a new USB. So, I transferred the files and formatted the USB I had been using. It was then I noticed that the USB had been formatted with FAT32 so, I formatted it with NTFS and transferred the files back and hey presto, the Mylink now remembers the last track I was playing when I left the car. So, it seems that formatting the file system to NTFS fixed the last played track issue for me.

Hope this helps someone

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I was told the master remote remembered the last song. My first VF never remembered which song was last played. My current SS is fine. Always starts with the same same but the Director doesn't. Same type of USB. Exactly the same music on both and copied the same time. Next I'll try and format NTFS to see what happens.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Mylink also supports WMA and WMA lossless files.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Mine's almost entirely M4A (MPEG 4 I believe), with some MP3 which were ripped from CD before I had iTunes.
The USB stick is NTFS.

Ours isn't random, in terms of "not going back to where it was when the car was turned off".
It has two memories.
If the car starts up with Memory 1, then it DOES remember what it was doing under Memory 1 when you turn the car off.
If the car starts up with Memory 2, then it DOES remember what it was doing under Memory 2 when you turn the car off.
What USED to be random when we first got the car was whether it would start under Memory 1 or Memory 2. Now that my wife has been driving the car 9 times out of 10 for the last 2.5yrs, when she uses her key-fob the car always starts in Memory 1. When I use my key-fob, the car starts in Memory 1 maybe 75% of the time, and in Memory 2 ~25% of the time.
Note that these memories aren't only the current track off the USB stick; if the car starts under Memory 2 and something's playing off the USB stick & then I change to FM, then the FM station is stored under Memory 2. So the next time the car starts under Memory 2, it goes to FM and the specific station which it was tuned to.

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
I don't think the MyLink is especially good at what it does, but I have just added a card to my Helix DSP, which gives the system so much more usefulness in general. It is a bluetooth streaming card that has a higher specification than the MyLink.

The card adds Bluetooth audio streaming capability as well as an optical digital output in S/PDIF format. Its codec and A2DP make CD-like audio streaming possible, and a direct digital signal path from the BT module to the DSP allows for lossless audio processing resulting in outstanding sound quality.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 12.16.49 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 12.16.49 pm.png
    700.1 KB · Views: 278

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire
Mine's almost entirely M4A (MPEG 4 I believe), with some MP3 which were ripped from CD before I had iTunes.
The USB stick is NTFS.

Ours isn't random, in terms of "not going back to where it was when the car was turned off".
It has two memories.
If the car starts up with Memory 1, then it DOES remember what it was doing under Memory 1 when you turn the car off.
If the car starts up with Memory 2, then it DOES remember what it was doing under Memory 2 when you turn the car off.
What USED to be random when we first got the car was whether it would start under Memory 1 or Memory 2. Now that my wife has been driving the car 9 times out of 10 for the last 2.5yrs, when she uses her key-fob the car always starts in Memory 1. When I use my key-fob, the car starts in Memory 1 maybe 75% of the time, and in Memory 2 ~25% of the time.
Note that these memories aren't only the current track off the USB stick; if the car starts under Memory 2 and something's playing off the USB stick & then I change to FM, then the FM station is stored under Memory 2. So the next time the car starts under Memory 2, it goes to FM and the specific station which it was tuned to.

I just tried with a Scandisk 64 gb stick like the one in the beginning of this thread. I ripped a CD using iTunes as apple lossless which has the M4A ext. Anyway stuck it in my October build 2017 Redline and it seems to get stuck on "Reading USB". There is only 11 songs on the stick. I am assuming that m4a is unprotected AAC which is mentioned in the manual as supported. Any hints on what I am doing wrong is appreciated.

cheers

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Have you tried reformatting it in NTFS?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
The latest MyLink update should fix the "not remembering last played track" issue. I'd format and reload any stick you're using after the update too, which will delete any index file made by the radio.

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
The latest MyLink update should fix the "not remembering last played track" issue.
Do you know the firmware update number for the MyLink, as MY16 Calais has been updated recently but the unit still switches between what was last played or something played days before, or even will switch between USB, radio or shows Navigation screen, I'm the only driver and using the same keyfob.