Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS Music Questions

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Just checked the VF2 manual (should be the same for VF1)

USB Media Formats
The USB port will support the following media formats:
. MP3
. Unprotected WMA
. Unprotected AAC

WMA lossless for the win.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I just had a look at the Owners manual and found the following poorly specified description of what MyLink supports:

- USB Mass Storage Classification Specification
(various specifications with various revisions so Holden doesn't really state what is actually supported)
(and there are multitude of USB subclasses within the specs so its simply a vague statement from the Lion)
(also, nothing about maximum size of supported mass storage device is mentioned)
- FAT32 & NTFS
(exFAT? is not mentioned but maybe it is or maybe it isn't supported)
- Maximum folder structure can be 8 levels deep
- Maximum of 10,000 folders/files can be displayed
- Hard Disk Drives are not supported
- MP3, unprotected AAC & unprotected WMA can be played
(nothing about supported extensions or the container types the supported formats can be wrapped in)

- protected (DRM) formats not supported
- playlists must be written in the form of relative paths
- .m3u, .itunes, .pls, .wax, .asx & .rpm playlists
and
- system attributes for folders/files that contain audio data must not be set (for your music to play)

So, it may be that @bradp51 playback problem points to MyLink becoming confused as to what it sees. As such, the best approach is to restore the Mylink radios defaults via pressing the following buttons starting at the home screen: <config> <vehicle settings> <return to factory settings> <yes>. No idea what custom settings or radio stations may be lost in doing a reset but assume you will loose your settings.

Then, i recommend you check your usb thumb drive on a pc and look at file manager, both before and after it is plugged in. If you see two devices appear, one as a CD drive and the other as a thumb drive, then this may be the root of the problem, maybe. You could try and manually wipe all partitions and reformat via command diskpart as mentioned earlier. Often this will work but in some cases it wont work as some usb thumb drives actually have firmware that presents the hardware as two separate devices, a cd drive and a flash drive. In these later cases, you can't get rid of the virtual CD drive and as such may simply need another flash drive for MyLink use.

Then try and put one mp3 song on the root of the newly formatted thumb drive and see if that plays on MyLink. I say try .mp3 format as it does not and can not have drm wrapped around it ;) Then if it plays you can build up from that.