Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS Music Questions

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire
Have you tried reformatting it in NTFS?

Hi Forg thank you for the help. I did think about that and started to do some research about whether I could do it on a Mac. I found a youtube about software called paragon that will do it. I reformatted my USB to NFTS and it worked like a treat straight away. I only have a 10 day trial though so have to re rip all my CD's to AAC lossless, as FLAC is not supported on mylink. I just spent quite a lot of money on new Alpine speakers, subwoofer, Alpine DSP and sound deadening in doors and boot so want to get the best source I can.

Thank you again. for anyone else having issues I would suggest changing from FAT32 to NTFS format on your USB. Much easier if you are running a PC rather than Mac.

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Forg thank you for the help. I did think about that and started to do some research about whether I could do it on a Mac. I found a youtube about software called paragon that will do it. I reformatted my USB to NFTS and it worked like a treat straight away. I only have a 10 day trial though so have to re rip all my CD's to AAC lossless, as FLAC is not supported on mylink. I just spent quite a lot of money on new Alpine speakers, subwoofer, Alpine DSP and sound deadening in doors and boot so want to get the best source I can.

Thank you again. for anyone else having issues I would suggest changing from FAT32 to NTFS format on your USB. Much easier if you are running a PC rather than Mac.

Well I ended up putting a lot of music on my Scandisk 64gb but put it in today and all I get is "Reading USB". It is formatted in NTFS.

Any hints appreciated.

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I ended up putting a lot of music on my Scandisk 64gb but put it in today and all I get is "Reading USB". It is formatted in NTFS.

Any hints appreciated.

I just found on page 143 of the manual.

"The system attribute for folders/files that contain audio data must not be set"

Does anyone know what that means ?

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
ah good old RASH

Read
Archive
System
Hidden

on ntfs they added a few more. im not event sure you can select system in windows explorer anymore.

if it is set you can use attrib -s to clear it

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I just found on page 143 of the manual.

"The system attribute for folders/files that contain audio data must not be set"

Does anyone know what that means ?
Generally, within many Operating Systems, files with ‘system’ attributes are not listed by default via the included UI/command line tools. If you want to see those files, you would either need to change default behaviour (show system files in Windows Explorer for example) or change the file or folder attributes.

As we can’t change any default settings within MyLink, to show these ‘system’ files or folders, we must remove any system attributes attached to any files or folders. Only then it seems MyLink OS will see them...

How you change file/folder attributes is OS dependant. Google should help.

But, if you format a USB thumb drive to NTFS and then create a directory placing music files within, nothing should have been tagged with a system attribute. Maybe your Mac doesn’t play NTFS nice? Likely something else is going on.

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
Generally, within many Operating Systems, files with ‘system’ attributes are not listed by default via the included UI/command line tools. If you want to see those files, you would either need to change default behaviour (show system files in Windows Explorer for example) or change the file or folder attributes.

As we can’t change any default settings within MyLink, to show these ‘system’ files or folders, we must remove any system attributes attached to any files or folders. Only then it seems MyLink OS will see them...

How you change file/folder attributes is OS dependant. Google should help.

But, if you format a USB thumb drive to NTFS and then create a directory placing music files within, nothing should have been tagged with a system attribute. Maybe your Mac doesn’t play NTFS nice? Likely something else is going on.

Thanks for the info. I have tried formatting another 32gb usb back to FAT32 on my son's windows pc. I put some files on it just 3 albums of .m4a files only a very small amount of data and could still not get it to play. I will have to do some more google research on file attributes. (sad face)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Can’t be bothered looking back through the thread or my owners manual so not sure what file formats MyLink actually support.

So, maybe you could go back to basics. Try loading some music in .mp3 format rather than the newer AAC mpeg 4 audio format (.m4a) since music is usually 2 channel stereo ;)

Ps: not all USB sticks are the same. Some have a hidden CD partition that may not be wiped via format and may confuse MyLink if these exist. So stick a USB stick into a windows computer where you should see it and hopefully not also see an active CD drive. It’s easy to start a command prompt with administrator privileges and use diskpart to select the USB drive, clear it and format it in fat32. Google should help find some details

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The .m4a thing isn’t specifically the problem here, about 1/3 of files in our library (anything ripped in the last decade or so) is .m4a off CD via iTunes and it all plays OK. The rest is .mp3 (mostly ripped with WinAmp - there’s a blast from the past!).

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
The .m4a thing isn’t specifically the problem here, about 1/3 of files in our library (anything ripped in the last decade or so) is .m4a off CD via iTunes and it all plays OK. The rest is .mp3 (mostly ripped with WinAmp - there’s a blast from the past!).
I still prefer using WinAmp

somfman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6
Can’t be bothered looking back through the thread or my owners manual so not sure what file formats MyLink actually support.

Just checked the VF2 manual (should be the same for VF1)

USB Media Formats
The USB port will support the following media formats:
. MP3
. Unprotected WMA
. Unprotected AAC