Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS oil change

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Thanks
I also purchased a hard (non flexible) dipstick for LS3 so Im interested to see if I can get this down the firewall then will verify if measurement of dipstick is correct when I do the filter change

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Thanks
I also purchased a hard (non flexible) dipstick for LS3 so Im interested to see if I can get this down the firewall then will verify if measurement of dipstick is correct when I do the filter change
A few of us have done this with the janetty racing dipstick. Search forum.

The magnet on the deep pan sits on a small bump the size of the ID of the magnet.

Last edited:

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
dassaur
my pan that has been ordered is aluminium so non-magnetic
there appears to be a few different dip sticks out
However will be sure to get the level height correct and check Vs the usual fill method with no dip stick

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
dassaur
my pan that has been ordered is aluminium so non-magnetic
there appears to be a few different dip sticks out
However will be sure to get the level height correct and check Vs the usual fill method with no dip stick
They aer all aluminium i believe. The GM deep pan I've got is also non magnetic, that's why it's got the bump so the internal ID of the donut type magnet sits in it

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Unless I'm missing something...the VF doesn't have an oil life monitor of any sort, does it? If not, it's the first car I've owned since...1997? That doesn't have one. Pretty surprising they didn't include one.
.. my HSV with a LS3 does have one of sorts

give the old girl a hard time for a month or two ... or as I found on holidays last year (on my first hols for some time)
5 days in a row sitting on 110 120 ish for hours on end and you get ... 'change engine oil' warning on the EDI
and
that was 2 months after a service I did ( being oil and all filters 8,000km after the previous)

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
yes VF V8 has oil reminder light, mine just gone off last week, for the 150,000 service

an oil life monitor is different to the service reminder... all Holdens with LSx engine have a service reminder
pop up warning based on the factory kilometer recommendation ever since VT got the LS1

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
okay never seen the oil life monitor come up on the VF and driven from Melb-Sydney-Brisbane a few times
I'd assumed the trans sump was steel, although to be completly honest I wasnt paying much attention to it when doing the engine oil/filter change as still waiting for the Trans filter
But hopefully things turn up this week and we can dig into the trans over next weekend

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Castrol Transmax Dexron VI two products in market had me confused
Need to purchase few more litre of the Castrol Transmax Dexron VI ATF
Noticed there were 2 types to use for VE/VF V6 & V8 trans (5L40E and 6L80E)

Couldn't get much sense out of 2 retail outlet stores as they had not noticed any changes in packaging
Firstly done what all good inquistive people do, read technical data sheet, could NOT see any difference

So decided to send message to Castrol Australia and ask the question, whats the difference, .....48min latter a reply came back...in my book that bloody good going for response time

Which brings me to the question
Going off Castrol recommended oil website it list 2 ATF oils for the Holden VF V8 6L80E trans fluid:
  • Castrol Transmax DEXRON®-VI MERCON® LV.... which is what I used on 5L40E, ( purchased extra to use for the 6L80E filter/ATF change)
  • Transmax ATF DEXRON®-VI MERCON® LV Multivehicle
Therefore want to know whether these 2 ATF fluids are identical, and can be used together in same transmission before proceeding with the ATF change

Thanks for your email.
Transmax DEXRON®-VI MERCON® LV is an obsolete product, it became obsolete and was replaced by Transmax ATF DEXRON®-VI MERCON® LV Multivehicle.
The change took place roughly last March/April so it explains why the store had stock of both, it seems they still have old stock.
As far as those 2 oils are concerned the formulation is the same, both are the same type of oil ,Castrol changed the name of the product only, not the formulation.
As the product name was changed , marketing issued new labels which explains why the packing looks different.
Hope this helps
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Pic attached
OLD (LH side pic)
NEW (RH side pic)

1701657094919.jpeg
1701657120805.jpeg

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The difference is the big filter has more surface area of filter in reserve. So when the first section blocks up the flow will move to next unblocked area.
If a small filter is blocking up with debris, the engine is already stuffed!

mstrjon32

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
an oil life monitor is different to the service reminder... all Holdens with LSx engine have a service reminder
pop up warning based on the factory kilometer recommendation ever since VT got the LS1
Interesting. I didn't see any indication of an oil life monitor or a service reminder with the V6...