Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS Series 2 Rear Muffler with Bi Modal

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
For some reason that particular relay (part 13500128) is not listed in the VF range but is used for Bi-modal exhaust relay. That part is used on a number of Holden vehicles and is available to purchase.
Interesting..As a number of Holden dealers said Holden dont make that part anymore, even when i quoted just the part number and not specifically related to the VF.
They are talking **** as they are still being imported
Whatever the case, if one has trouble buying parts for a VF only a year after manufacturing closure, whether due to Holden parts catalogue lacking components or dealers simply can't be bothered supporting their customers doesnt bode well for the future.

I expect it will get much worse rather than get better as time moves forward. I suspect we all need to go on a parts buying spree but then the question is what to should buy in preparation for unknown future repairs?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Whatever the case, if one has trouble buying parts for a VF only a year after manufacturing closure, whether due to Holden parts catalogue lacking components or dealers simply can't be bothered supporting their customers doesnt bode well for the future.

I expect it will get much worse rather than get better as time moves forward. I suspect we all need to go on a parts buying spree but then the question is what to should buy in preparation for unknown future repairs?

You never look on the bright side. The parts should be available for 10 years. There were enough body panels to last for 10 years. As for the other parts used in our cars, they should be available. At least you will be able to buy engine parts as they came from GM in the USA. I would be worried about the magnetic ride control suspension you have in your motorsport. Maybe buy a set of spare shocks to help you down the track o_O

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Vf2 bimodal valve is completely shut when set to off in display and completely open between certain rev range when set to on in display.

The rev range is idle and above 3krpm. Pull the fuse when open and it stays open. Pull the fuse when shut and it stays shut.

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
Vf2 bimodal valve is completely shut when set to off in display and completely open between certain rev range when set to on in display.

The rev range is idle and above 3krpm. Pull the fuse when open and it stays open. Pull the fuse when shut and it stays shut.
Pretty sure it defaults to open no matter what state you pull the fuse. I had mine apart and it's springloaded with alot of tension. I moved my bimodel valves to some cutouts I welded before the mufflers.

my valves open back up when I turn the car off even if they are set to quiet.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the factory mufflers have a spring in the valve mechanism that will open the valve once the power is removed from the electronic valve controller, when set to "quiet" or closed the controller will hold the valve shut.

you can unhook the spring and it will stop opening the valve when the vehicle is stopped
spring.jpg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
You never look on the bright side. The parts should be available for 10 years. There were enough body panels to last for 10 years. As for the other parts used in our cars, they should be available. At least you will be able to buy engine parts as they came from GM in the USA. I would be worried about the magnetic ride control suspension you have in your motorsport. Maybe buy a set of spare shocks to help you down the track o_O
It’s not an issue of looking on the bright side or considering the glass being half full or half empty. Half full or half empty, fact is it’s still 100 mil of piss in a 200 mil cup, so no need to get personal or offensive.

As mentioned, people have expressed on a few threads that they’ve had issues with getting some parts for their VFs.

But yes, the law requires manufacturers must provide parts for I think 10 years. the law also stated the many regulators were supposed to keep an eye on the banks and we know how well such laws were followed. If Holden dealers are so disinterested with serving Holden customers NOW, it’s only going to get worse (unless Holden pushes a stronger customer forces but I don’t see that happening soon enough to make a difference). As I said, it doesn’t bode well but you of course can have a different opinion.

Truth is that buying the VF was buying an orphan in some respects but I went in eye wide open. However, I didn’t expect to start reading of such local parts supply difficulties so soon. Thought it would take 5 or so years before such would start to occur.

In any case driveline stuff (assemblies, components) won’t be difficult to source from the US (calibration software issues aside as I know nothing about such and if a it’s even relevant). But VF interior trim items and the like, along with the MSE sticker pack, are going to be a problem in the medium term I suspect. So I should go and shop. Magnetic ride suspension components may or may not be an issue but it needs looking into so thanks for the heads up on that.

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
Sounds like your stressing over nothing.. what parts are you going to go shop for? Once the 7 years is up there will be plenty of parts available from wreckers etc..

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds like your stressing over nothing.. what parts are you going to go shop for? Once the 7 years is up there will be plenty of parts available from wreckers etc..
I’m not stressed at all. I simply made a comment based on comments on this and other threads re parts supply.

As to what I may need in future, how long is a piece of string.

I do need to find out more about the shelf life of the MSE sticker pack (@ ~$1k) as I have no idea how long they remain viable. But sticker packs are one thing that tends to disappear from parts lists over time and something that can’t be recycled from a wrecking yard.

I’ve also read VF trim has been described on these forums as having fragile fingers/clips and in my experiance (with other makes) plastic items can also be problematic when sourced from a wrecking yard as they always seem to have the same faults at the part you want to replace.

But we should probably get back on topic ;)

myls362

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
My right muffler is making an annoying squeak every time I switch the bi-modal on and off. I have also noticed that when I change gears I get the same squeak. I always have it set to open. When I depress the clutch I get a squeak and then I can hear it open again. I’ve got a video.

Two questions:
1. I have read the posts but I still don’t understand how it works on a manual. Help?
2. Has anyone had any issues with theirs?

I have a regular service next week so any info I can get will help.