Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS-V Redline (Series 1) - Rough idle and loss of power, no warning lights

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline Wagon, VZ Executive Wagon
"slamNcam" during that year-long build were you able to enlighten yourself as to what a fuel injector is? or are you still looking around for somewhere to insert the ignition key?

slamNcam

Reaction score
Members Ride
AU Fairmont - Stage 3 slammer and cammer
Hi Wagon37, I do not appreciate you being a smart-ass. Apologies about my presumptions but to be honest it sounds like you got a chip of ebay and installed it yourself in order to reach a 'mild cam' and probably subsequently a blown engine.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Panhead,

Custom colour that I designed and worked on after a trip to Italy, very similar to the Bianco Avus that has been used on some Ferrari's.

Specs - Basically had my SS-V rebuilt and specced as a Walkinshaw W557 HSV GTS. Complete build took over a year to get it right.

Thanks mate, two very interesting and expensive mods and not something we'd see very often on this forum.

A car like that should be shared with the members, when you get some time post up a few photos in the 'Show Off Your Ride' section and detail the work.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hey mate,

I don't want to make any presumptions here but it sure sounds like you might have cheaped out and gone to a backyard operator to get your SS-V cammed. There are a number of great operators in Aus that know how to cam and I really would recommend that you take it to an expert. As a bit of a camming expert and connoisseur, I would recommend potentially seeing if you can get the engine rebuilt. All in all it sounds like you have a case of a lotta burn with absolutely no return. I have quite a few contacts in the camming world, and personally have a 2015 SS-V Redline in Santorini White that has been cammed to beyond belief, extracting approx 750 HP that is running like a gazelle.

I hope this issue gets sorted.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

This is all very presumptuous.

It's interesting you list your ride as an AU Fairmont (stage 3 slammer and cammer) but talk about SS-V and I also note you list your age as 97?

Hi Wagon37, I do not appreciate you being a smart-ass. Apologies about my presumptions but to be honest it sounds like you got a chip of ebay and installed it yourself in order to reach a 'mild cam' and probably subsequently a blown engine.

Again, this does not make sense and if you were a expert you would know better.

Please give me a reason to not ban your ass...

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
Please give me a reason to not ban your ass...

Surely just the suggestion that you would "slam and cam" an AU Fairmont is enough to warrant an instant ban?!

Sorry slamNcam but you would have been better off using your dollars to turn that thing into a coke can.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I have to admit I had some doubts with his post when he said he was ‘a bit of a camming expert and connoisseur’ as I’d read his post from back in March this year where he was recommending stage 1, 2 & 3 cams which is strange language for an expert as they usually talk in duration, lift, RPM and so on to back up their reasoning for their suggested cam size.

Still that’s no need to rubbish the AU, it may be an acquired taste for some in the looks department but it was a good solid car and I would be happy to have one of the performance versions sitting in my shed.

As far as your rough idle problem is concerned I think you’ve already been given some good pieces of advice from other members, swap out the fuel for some fresh stuff from another servo and if you still have a problem, have the injectors checked.

Your car is producing very good power at 440hp (328kW) at the wheels for a mild cam and bolt ons on a 6.0 litre, maybe the tune has been wrung out too far and needs to be backed off a little to make up for fluctuations in fuel quality.

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
I had a LS3 cammed and after a few months ran into symptoms very similar.

Like what you have done I checked everything, plugs, lead etc. Took it to the tuner and he looked at it and it turned out to be the leads were ever so slightly coming off the plug. Most likely from the cam vibration.

He said its common for the GM leads to feel clicked on but not quite getting the contact they need. Maybe have another look at those.

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had a LS3 cammed and after a few months ran into symptoms very similar.

Like what you have done I checked everything, plugs, lead etc. Took it to the tuner and he looked at it and it turned out to be the leads were ever so slightly coming off the plug. Most likely from the cam vibration.

He said its common for the GM leads to feel clicked on but not quite getting the contact they need. Maybe have another look at those.

That's great info - cheers for that mate. I only very quickly checked the leads were on, will go back and have a closer look.

Did you get any warnings lights at all?

Cheers

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
That's great info - cheers for that mate. I only very quickly checked the leads were on, will go back and have a closer look.

Did you get any warnings lights at all?

Cheers
Nah no warning lights, but rough idle, down on power and very different exhaust note under load. There was also a strong fuel smell however being cammed my car already had a bit of fuel smell.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Mrs who is always on FB said on either the HSV or SS owners club, there's quite a few currently complaining about BP 98.

Well, even Missus can be wrong. And petrol-heads. With their hackneyed backyard-job tuning and mods will complain for want of better, factual knowledge based on science, not Kumbaya-holding hands-theory on which populist opinion thrives.

BP PULP98 has been in my previous car (VZ) right around Australia (best economy was 7.3L/100km all the way up to and probably above 195,000km), and is now also used in my VFII (achieved 5.7L/100km near Euroa last Monday). I also use, on availability basis wherever I'm travelling, PULP98 at Shell, Liberty, APCO, 7-Eleven and Caltex.