Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS wagon manual swap. Is it possible?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
^ I still think a manual V8 VF2 wagonoid would fetch a premium over the billionty automatic ones around, if it’s done in such a way that it could have been factory.
I know of a few guys buying what they thought were Clubsport R8's with R8 and 340 badges on the boot and they were early GenF base models with SS seats. The untrained eye like these guys would have no idea that a manual wagon wasn't factory and thinking it's a rarity, they'd pay top dollar for sure!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I know of a few guys buying what they thought were Clubsport R8's with R8 and 340 badges on the boot and they were early GenF base models with SS seats. The untrained eye like these guys would have no idea that a manual wagon wasn't factory and thinking it's a rarity, they'd pay top dollar for sure!
It hadn’t even occurred to me that anyone wouldn’t realise it was non-standard. :)
I saw one used Holden SSV-R manual wagon for sale prior to buying our car mid 2015, not knowing at the time that Holden were no longer selling manuals I thought it was “rare” rather than “modified”. But I guess a super-enthusiast could have had the dealer convert the car prior to delivery, is it non-standard if it was delivered new like that? (another example of that … Volvo Straya had a lot of demand in the late 70’s for auto 242GT’s and manual 264GLE’s, neither available from the factory at the time, so they had a dealer swap the gearboxes for 50 cars … modded or not?)

There are plenty of people with a VF that’s not being used for the daily commute in traffic, and the fact that a manual is more fun would very much outweigh the fact that the car wasn’t delivered with a manual in the first place to people who know it’s not standard … an enthusiast would know it’s not a super simple conversion, and be happy someone’s done the hard work for them. :)

Originality might matter in 20-30 year’s time if petrol prices haven’t knocked the wind out of classic car values by then, but for now I reckon a manual swap in a wagon would get considerably more of the cost back come sale-time than stuff like blowers & cams etc.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Originality might matter in 20-30 year’s time if petrol prices haven’t knocked the wind out of classic car values by then, but for now I reckon a manual swap in a wagon would get considerably more of the cost back come sale-time than stuff like blowers & cams etc.
I think you could easily pull off a manual wagon conversion most would think is factory and as time evolves and records become less attainable, it'd be easier to convince someone it was a special order or limited-edition thing etc. People won't have interest in a manual wagon if they want an auto and the rarity of it will sell the car for maximum price. I'd guarantee that a mint manual conversion wagon would sell for more than a supercharged auto on E85 with a 2 speed Powerglide and 9" diff conversion that does a 9 second quarter mile!

In my experience once you start modifying engines despite the money spent, engine modifications will devalue an iconic car in most cases. I've been watching some of the HSV cars and the one's advertised with OTR's, big headers and tunes etc. are still sitting there unsold with high prices on them. The mint "stock one's" are selling faster with today's inflated prices.

Last edited:

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Definitely possible, HSV sold manual Tourers for MY13 and I think MY14.

... indeed they did up until GenFII was announced in Oct14
I grabbed the last manual they made in Oct14 :)

Reactions: Lex

Tyler79511

Reaction score
Members Ride
Myvf2
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has successfully manual converted a VF2 SS wagon? I’m keen to look into this and am interested in any recommendations for mechanics around Sydney who could help.

Thanks,
How
I know this was a while ago you posted this but the answer to your question is yes it’s possible I’ve converted me ssv wagon to a 6 speed manual worst part about it was getting a tail shaft that would fit had to end up making a custom one to get the right length. All the electronics side was all programmed with a tech 2 and with all original auto gearbox’s computers. All I had to swap over was the wiring harness to a manual one for the gear box plugs. I have everything working as factory no fault codes at all wasn’t too expensive but I did do all the work my self and I do have a tech 2 device

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
I know this was a while ago you posted this but the answer to your question is yes it’s possible I’ve converted me ssv wagon to a 6 speed manual worst part about it was getting a tail shaft that would fit had to end up making a custom one to get the right length. All the electronics side was all programmed with a tech 2 and with all original auto gearbox’s computers. All I had to swap over was the wiring harness to a manual one for the gear box plugs. I have everything working as factory no fault codes at all wasn’t too expensive but I did do all the work my self and I do have a tech 2 device
I thought the wagon had the same wheelbase as the sedan? Wouldn't a manual sedan tailshaft suit the conversion?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Yes same wheelbase … that won’t be the reason for the manual tailshaft not fitting … would be interested to know what the reason is?!

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
All the electronics side was all programmed with a tech 2 and with all original auto gearbox’s computers. All I had to swap over was the wiring harness to a manual one for the gear box plugs. I have everything working as factory no fault codes at all wasn’t too expensive but I did do all the work my self and I do have a tech 2 device
Tech 2 works on a VE but not a VF, can't program with it. The other aspect is, auto and manual is VIN specific and not optional in programming setup. With the GM SPS system, you could only re-program with a VIN from a manual wagon (early HSV builds) then get one of the hackers to change the VIN via the module Eprom. You could make an auto car run with a manual conversion, but the electronics won't work properly, BCM and dash cluster without a hacker's involvement. Bottom line bud, what you're telling us isn't possible with the GM programming system.

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I thought the wagon had the same wheelbase as the sedan? Wouldn't a manual sedan tailshaft suit the conversion?

Plus if it didn't fit, there were a number of places when I lived in Sydney that did tailshaft conversions without any hassles.

I had a few done over the years on some of my old girls when I was doing engine/gearbox swaps like pulling a TH350 and replacing it with a Top Loader.

I'd also used the GTHO size shafts on cars just by having them shortened and the yokes changed.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Yes same wheelbase … that won’t be the reason for the manual tailshaft not fitting … would be interested to know what the reason is?!
maybe .. manual and auto boxes are themselves of a different length? as yes I agree wheels base is the same