Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS wagon manual swap. Is it possible?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I dunno if its just me, but when I'm using manual mode, I often get HAL9000 telling me "I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that". i.e. DIC saying Shift Denied.
I still have to think for a moment which way is up a gear and down a gear, which still seems back to front to me.
Is there a standard for up/down direction - or do I have muscle memory from another car?

I don't have a paddleshift VF, but on my Mercs the right paddle you pull towards you to shift up and the left paddle, you pull towards you to shift down and that works well with my brain.

On my BMW both right and left paddles do the same thing, pull towards you to change up, push back to change down, there have been a few times when I've got it wrong.

So in my cars, there is no universal standard.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
There's not even a universal standard from before paddle-shifters became common and all manufacturers were using a +/- movement on a sub-gate next to the main shift-gate, a la no-paddle-shift VF. Some had forward to shift up, some had backward to shift up.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Yes, the delay time from pulling the paddle to the time the shift begins. It's not massive, but there's a delay and the shift doesn't begin immediately with paddle switching.

The BMW DCT in the M cars shifts like the V8 Supercar sequential gearboxes with no paddle delay. The DCT has no torque converter and has 2 clutches on the main shaft and cluster, it's helical cut manual like gearset internally with shift hubs and synchro's. When you select a gear stationary nothing happens like an auto, and it's like a manual in gear with your foot on the clutch. When you accelerate lightly to take off, the engine RPM drops as the clutch disengages and sounds and feels like a manual at low speed with no auto like converter stall.

The DCT is a bit strange initially as it doesn't behave like an auto we're accustom with and expect to feel.
@RevNev do a shift with the actual shifter and tell me if you perceive a difference between TUTD and Paddle

The VF2 trans tune still short shifts, changes into 2nd at 13kmph on light throttle. When would you ever pull 2nd gear at 13kmph taking off in a manual? I reset the 1-2 upshift on my Redline ute to 22kmph and better simulates where you'd change into 2nd with a manual.

With 3.27 rear gears I have my upshifts at normal driving
1700191360253.png

Works really well - I used 'Bluecat's trans tool' (Plug in weight, rwkw, stall size, tyre size, rear gears and a few other variables) and it spat this out for me (including WOT and others)
It is so much nicer to drive since changing to it.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
I love performance mode in my WN. With my trans tune, it's almost as good as a manual. Blips on downshifts too. Keeps the rpm range right where you want it.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
do a shift with the actual shifter and tell me if you perceive a difference between TUTD and Paddle
The paddle seems to have more delay than the shifter unless it's a sensation with a finger flick vs arm movement on the shifter.

The light throttle short upshifts annoy me with the auto and I drove around in manual mode recording the speeds I'd change gears in a manual. I then raised the light throttle 1-2 and 3-4 upshift speeds. A couple of areas around our way, the trans would short shift into 3rd and then if you squeeze the throttle off the corner, it'll kick back to 2nd. Now it holds 2nd and eliminates the kick down and has more of a manual feel.

Reactions: Lex

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
im thinking with the LS autos that there will always be a slight delay in manual mode as once the shift is asked for by the pedal then the gearbox has to make it happen and the gearbox isnt just waiting with a gear in hand, all the exotic autos in the m/b bmw and such with DCT with there clutches they have the next gear waiting ready to go at any time so its much faster,
the LS auto when asked for has to fill the clutch then hold/shift gear/release clutch, and u can see that with the more power u have as u have to shift earlier in the rpm sometimes 1000rpm+ earlier to start it so it shifts before the limiter, the exotic boxs u can wait till ur at redline and then shift and as its ready to go its done instantly

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
im thinking with the LS autos that there will always be a slight delay in manual mode as once the shift is asked for by the pedal then the gearbox has to make it happen and the gearbox isnt just waiting with a gear in hand, all the exotic autos in the m/b bmw and such with DCT with there clutches they have the next gear waiting ready to go at any time so its much faster,
the LS auto when asked for has to fill the clutch then hold/shift gear/release clutch, and u can see that with the more power u have as u have to shift earlier in the rpm sometimes 1000rpm+ earlier to start it so it shifts before the limiter, the exotic boxs u can wait till ur at redline and then shift and as its ready to go its done instantly
Yep agree 100%, but I cant perceive a difference between TUTD and paddle

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Yep agree 100%, but I cant perceive a difference between TUTD and paddle
yea they will be doing the exact same thing just flicking the same switch just from different spots, shifter or pedals, the data is instant just the box cant be any faster