Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS with 4.11s?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
In non-HSV variants Holden seem to be well known for gearing too tall. It's been that way for years, even back in the days of Kingswood's.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
In non-HSV variants Holden seem to be well known for gearing too tall. It's been that way for years, even back in the days of Kingswood's.

Yeah those 3.08 ratios in the Monaro and GTS models always got blown away by the Utes with the 3.36.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
yea u can feel it loading up down low so i dont do it often but enough to get the tune dialed in down there, as long as its tuned down there n/a it may not pull hard but least it wont stumble which can help if u get caught a little low getting out of a dig or something
Not quite understanding what you mean?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah those 3.08 ratios in the Monaro and GTS models always got blown away by the Utes with the 3.36.

I had an LX 6cyl and I test drove a Kingswood with a 308. My LX went harder than the Kingswood. I put that down to what I know now as too taller gearing. I was expecting a lot more punch from a 308 even in a heavier vehicle.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The 3.7 in my manual R8 & Redline offers a lot more than the 3.45 in the manual VE cars I’ve owned.

For street use they are so much easier to find a gear to accelerate in traffic as they are usually already sitting in the powerband compared to the docile 3.45 ratio mated to the VE.

If it’s just a weekender, why not go for a locker, you can’t get any cooler than skipping around corners at intersections and all the car fellas who see it will know it’s not a daily.

I know a lot less torque in an L98 compared to an LS3 but when I had 3.45s I could only really use sixth on level highways. I changed to 3.9s and I'm still at just over 1900 in sixth at 100kph. 3.9s made a massive improvement for me. I considered 3.7s but I felt it was not far enough apart from 3.45s, especially with a cam, where it really only comes alive from 3k on.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Not quite understanding what you mean?
not many tuners tune down that low in the map areas, but if it is then that helps even with camshafts that dont operate well down low it still allows them to function without a hiccup when needed, if ur getting hesitation/pops or such down low then its a tune issue not camshaft

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I know a lot less torque in an L98 compared to an LS3 but when I had 3.45s I could only really use sixth on level highways. I changed to 3.9s and I'm still at just over 1900 in sixth at 100kph. 3.9s made a massive improvement for me. I considered 3.7s but I felt it was not far enough apart from 3.45s, especially with a cam, where it really only comes alive from 3k on.

Honestly I don't ever really think there is much difference between the L98 & LS3 in stock tune, they are both under performing, it's the diff ratio I noticed.

My R8 is an LS2 and it wasn't making much power but jumped quicker (with way too much axle tramp) than my other L98 VE's.

Sometimes it's hard to remember as most of my cars get fiddled with from day one.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Honestly I don't ever really think there is much difference between the L98 & LS3 in stock tune, they are both under performing, it's the diff ratio I noticed.

My R8 is an LS2 and it wasn't making much power but jumped quicker (with way too much axle tramp) than my other L98 VE's.

Sometimes it's hard to remember as most of my cars get fiddled with from day one.

the LS2 had its torque a little lower in the revs then the L98/LS3 so prob helped it out at the start

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
not many tuners tune down that low in the map areas, but if it is then that helps even with camshafts that dont operate well down low it still allows them to function without a hiccup when needed, if ur getting hesitation/pops or such down low then its a tune issue not camshaft
When I bought it the tune was terrible. The local tuner I took it to is the best in the state and likely the only bloke who truly knows how to tune a cammed LS 6.0.

The PO had it tuned by a big mob in Melbourne who are on that show on Mate that I haven't seen in ages and it was bad. When I bought it, it was a bastard to drive. But PO told me that's how a cammed LS will be and I just need to use revs to get going and lots of clutch.

When I took it in, my tuner took it for a drive and said it was the worst car he has ever driven for pig. He said to me when he brought it back, I can get it a bit better but he was like I don't know how much better I can get it as it was bad. Three or four days in the workshop and it was like a completely new car. It still has some pig that he couldn't get out at about 1400revs. But at 1450-1460 and anything below 1400 there is no pig. I can now let my foot off the clutch and roll off at a set of lights and only hit the pedal 30m later to get going and it won't pig. I could never do that before.

However, getting back to the main discussion if I'm in sixth at 100kph, I need to drop back gear if I want it to pull up hill. Get it up to 2700-3000 in second or third and stomp the pedal and it goes hard. Once you hit 3500-4000 it's like it comes on boost, obviously nothing like real boost, but the main power comes in from about 3000.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
When I bought it the tune was terrible. The local tuner I took it to is the best in the state and likely the only bloke who truly knows how to tune a cammed LS 6.0.

The PO had it tuned by a big mob in Melbourne who are on that show on Mate that I haven't seen in ages and it was bad. When I bought it, it was a bastard to drive. But PO told me that's how a cammed LS will be and I just need to use revs to get going and lots of clutch.

When I took it in, my tuner took it for a drive and said it was the worst car he has ever driven for pig. He said to me when he brought it back, I can get it a bit better but he was like I don't know how much better I can get it as it was bad. Three or four days in the workshop and it was like a completely new car. It still has some pig that he couldn't get out at about 1400revs. But at 1450-1460 and anything below 1400 there is no pig. I can now let my foot off the clutch and roll off at a set of lights and only hit the pedal 30m later to get going and it won't pig. I could never do that before.

However, getting back to the main discussion if I'm in sixth at 100kph, I need to drop back gear if I want it to pull up hill. Get it up to 2700-3000 in second or third and stomp the pedal and it goes hard. Once you hit 3500-4000 it's like it comes on boost, obviously nothing like real boost, but the main power comes in from about 3000.
Losh, why did you end up buying it if it had that much pig in it? Was it a "too good to walk away from" kind of deal? Who was the original tuner? Pm me if you don't want to bag them here.