Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS with 4.11s?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
What revs is the HSV with manual 3.7 doing at 100 in 6th? I think the sweet spot is about 2000 if your cammed.
mine is right bout 1650rpm for 100kph, or 1350rpm for 80kph in 6th, both are easy to use throttle without hesitation even into boost as i spend time making sure fueling/spark is right at those areas, i could have went to a 3.45 cos i wanted more kph in 4th but new build should rev higher so ill go that way hold the gear longer

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
yep the 3.7 with the HSV close ratio TR6060 1-5 and 6th drops off a cliff is the best, having driven a mates VE SSV manual the actual gear ratios are totally different even tho 6th ends up at the same rpm for 100kph the 1-5 is too far apart felt just wrongly geared
The LSA and GTS TR6060 is the close ratio manual and that's mint with 3.7's. 1st and 2nd is taller, less gappy into 3rd and 5th and 6th is 0.83:1 and at 100kmph in 6th, they're around 1750rpm like the LS3 auto. The NA HSV manuals are the same ratio as the stock VE/VF. The HSV close ratio box is the same ratio as the VZ V8's from 1st to 4th with a lower 5th and 6th. I don't know why Holden changed to the gappy ratios in VE, makes no sense!

Here's a tool I made up a few years ago to get 5th and 6th gear off and swap them for the lower GTS ratios.

IMG_20180914_211044244_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The LSA and GTS TR6060 is the close ratio manual and that's mint with 3.7's. 1st and 2nd is taller, less gappy into 3rd and 5th and 6th is 0.83:1 and at 100kmph in 6th, they're around 1750rpm like the LS3 auto. The NA HSV manuals are the same ratio as the stock VE/VF. The HSV close ratio box is the same ratio as the VZ V8's from 1st to 4th with a lower 5th and 6th. I don't know why Holden changed to the gappy ratios in VE, makes no sense!

Here's a tool I made up a few years ago to get 5th and 6th gear off and swap them for the lower GTS ratios.

View attachment 264010

I think I read a gearbox guy saying they did that to try and make 5th more like an underdrive/1 to 1 gear (which it's never going to be) and still have decent highway economy.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
HSV determined early in the E series that that the best 'all-round' final drive ratios for the LS3 manuals were 3.7 and auto's, 3.27.
HSV were better at selecting sway bar sizes in VF too. I'm wondering if more race driver input from testing is responsible. Race drivers are typically vocal with what's crap when pushing a car hard particularly gearing, handling balance etc.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
mine is right bout 1650rpm for 100kph, or 1350rpm for 80kph in 6th, both are easy to use throttle without hesitation even into boost as i spend time making sure fueling/spark is right at those areas, i could have went to a 3.45 cos i wanted more kph in 4th but new build should rev higher so ill go that way hold the gear longer
Yeah, but most of us don't have boost to help things along and rely on revs. 1650 in a cammed NA in 6th is not going to pull and from what I've heard it's not good for the 6060 or T56, as it can apparently do damage over the long-term if the boxes get laboured in tall gears.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I think I read a gearbox guy saying they did that to try and make 5th more like an underdrive/1 to 1 gear (which it's never going to be) and still have decent highway economy.
Theoretically yes, lower highway RPM uses less fuel but what they don't take into account, is using more throttle to maintain highway speeds up hill from engine torque reduction of tall gearbox ratios.

At the extreme end with a NA XR6 manual Falcon and 0.50:1 6th gear, the engine doesn't have enough torque to remain at 100kmph in a slight hill and you're changing back to 5th persistently. With the GTS lower ratio 5th and 6th, improves the highway fuel economy in the FG/X NA XR6. Ford worked on theory instead of what works best practically in the gear ratio selection.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Yeah, but most of us don't have boost to help things along and rely on revs. 1650 in a cammed NA in 6th is not going to pull and from what I've heard it's not good for the 6060 or T56, as it can apparently do damage over the long-term if the boxes get laboured in tall gears.
yea u can feel it loading up down low so i dont do it often but enough to get the tune dialed in down there, as long as its tuned down there n/a it may not pull hard but least it wont stumble which can help if u get caught a little low getting out of a dig or something

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
HSV determined early in the E series that that the best 'all-round' final drive ratios for the LS3 manuals were 3.7 and auto's, 3.27.

The 3.7 in my manual R8 & Redline offers a lot more than the 3.45 in the manual VE cars I’ve owned.

For street use they are so much easier to find a gear to accelerate in traffic as they are usually already sitting in the powerband compared to the docile 3.45 ratio mated to the VE.

If it’s just a weekender, why not go for a locker, you can’t get any cooler than skipping around corners at intersections and all the car fellas who see it will know it’s not a daily.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

Losh, all cars are boosted, N/A is 14.5psi, turbo and super charged cars are just higher boost levels.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Theoretically yes, lower highway RPM uses less fuel but what they don't take into account, is using more throttle to maintain highway speeds up hill from engine torque reduction of tall gearbox ratios.

At the extreme end with a NA XR6 manual Falcon and 0.50:1 6th gear, the engine doesn't have enough torque to remain at 100kmph in a slight hill and you're changing back to 5th persistently. With the GTS lower ratio 5th and 6th, improves the highway fuel economy in the FG/X NA XR6. Ford worked on theory instead of what works best practically in the gear ratio selection.
even worse was my mates BA XR8 auto sitting at 100kph was like 2500rpm was crazy for a boss v8 used heaps of fuel on a cruise