Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf suspension upgrade

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
They gave the SSV-R better compliance for VF2, which resulted in better handling/roadholding on imperfect roads
I had an impression that VF1 Redline had SS springs and shocks with the addition of much stiffer sway bars. VF2 Redline had a revised softer spring and shock rate than SS with a revised rear sway bar and mounting on sedans.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Going from a Calais V FE1 suspension to king springs 'L' (not SL) with a v8 engine gave me a no noticeably different ride quality.
However, I found in my wagon the KHRL lowered it too much so that the rear was lower than the front.
I am now running Lovells hrl-118 on rear with monroe GT shocks and kings KHRL-151 on the front with Monroe GT struts. Great ride quality.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Going from a Calais V FE1 suspension to king springs 'L' (not SL) with a v8 engine gave me a no noticeably different ride quality.
However, I found in my wagon the KHRL lowered it too much so that the rear was lower than the front.
I am now running Lovells hrl-118 on rear with monroe GT shocks and kings KHRL-151 on the front with Monroe GT struts. Great ride quality.
Did you have KHRL 152HD in the rear? My SV6 wagon is 380mm rear and 378mm front with KHFL 151SL. The KHFL 151's in a V8 are usually around 380mm. If you don't use HD's in the rear of a wagon they sit lower than the front.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Did you have KHRL 152HD in the rear? My SV6 wagon is 380mm rear and 378mm front with KHFL 151SL. The KHFL 151's in a V8 are usually around 380mm. If you don't use HD's in the rear of a wagon they sit lower than the front.
Yes I used HDs in the rear and it was down at 375 or so.
I'm at about 385 with the lovells. Although both fronts are approx 380, on the rear one side is 385 and one is around 383!

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yes I used HDs in the rear and it was down at 375 or so.
I'm at about 385 with the lovells. Although both fronts are approx 380, one side is 385 and one is around 383!
Yes, the next taller King Spring from the KHRL 152HD, takes it back up near 400mm, stock ride height.

The rare occasions I've had the rear a bit low, I've fitted 5mm aluminum shims under the springs that I had laser cut to fit the Monroe GT Sport shocks. My Redline ute was low in the RHR, and I fitted the shim under that spring to level it out.