Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf suspension upgrade

VF2R

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Ute/ 2016 VF2 SS-V Redline
I liked the ride of the FE3 setup but aesthetically it doesn't do the car any favours. The roads around where I live are 'semi rural' I suppose..so compromise was the order of the day.
I went with Monroes ( have had them before..they're ok for the price ) and Cobra Superlows. I went cobra over kings as I've had Cobra springs on another car and was pretty happy with how it handled. Also, I have seen a lot of commos on Kings/Monroes and they all seem to sag after a year or two.
I can't compare ride quality but the Cobras do give a decent ride. They're firm but not harsh. Not as comfortable as the FE3 though. The shop that fitted them has a VF2 Redline shop car ( same as mine but auto ) and it has Monroe and kings. After fitting my setup the ( shop )owner drove my car and commented how much nicer it was to drive than his ( he reckons his was pretty harsh on less then perfect roads ). He has since replaced his Kings with Cobras as well.
The Cobra superlow/Monroe gt set up lowered my car by about 25mm all round over the FE3 and I liked the stance I ended up with..almost flat but with just a touch.. a hint..of rake.
Handles like a go cart and, except for really rough roads, pliant and forgiving enough to be nice to drive.
I've fitted 20" wheels..this adds to the firmness somewhat.. on the factory 19s it's a little softer and feels more like the FE3 but obviously a bit lower.
My ute has FE3 as well.. ( was FE2 from factory ) and is on factory 19s...the ride on that is sublime..if only it sat a little lower...

Pic shows FE3/19s V Cobra/Monroes/20s

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221030-115312_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221030-115312_Gallery.jpg
    885.2 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

b0tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 Sportwagon
I have pedders in my sv6 wagon, they were fitted when I bought the car, but I'm pretty sure they're progressive.

Not crazy low, fun through twisties, but still very cp.fortable for everyday use. Not harsh or thumps.

Rear shocks were just replaced with their sportryder shocks, they feel pretty decent.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1634631876156.jpg
    FB_IMG_1634631876156.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 96

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
New member just joined so late to this. My VF is lowered and I suspect it's part of the W310 kit... the look is great but man, I cringe when I hit a pothole and navigating judder bars etc is a nightmare.
Ahhh - Judder Bars. Takes me back.
There's speed bumps around here, which are a similar design. I don't know if there is a rigid standard or they just make a friggin annoying hump.
In your case, the worst I have encountered in a Redline are at Orewa Beach carpark. Faaark. They test whether your suspension mount rubbers creak, according to how fast you drive at them. Actually, best done in the Thrifty rental car.
When I lowered my VY Berlina a little, I found it was best to drive around them, especially if you didn't want the paint removed under the front apron. Probabaly the same as your situaton.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I went with Monroes ( have had them before..they're ok for the price ) and Cobra Superlows. I went cobra over kings as I've had Cobra springs on another car and was pretty happy with how it handled. Also, I have seen a lot of commos on Kings/Monroes and they all seem to sag after a year or two.
Monroe GT Sport shortened shocks for lowered cars was a joint venture initiated by King Springs to provide a shock with bump clearance and short enough in droop to keep a shorter and stiffer spring captive. The Monroe GT Sport Commodore shocks were valved using King spring rates.

This means if you fit a spring with a softer rate than King, the shock has insufficient bump dampening and too much rebound. If you fit a stiffer spring than King, the shock then has too much bump dampening and insufficient rebound. Mismatching spring rate/shock valving with an alternative spring on a Monroe GT Sport shock is a bad idea without shock dyno report confirming the valving can efficiently accommodate the spring rate change.

I'm yet to see a King Spring sag more than a couple of mm's in free length fitting thousands of them since 1994. Anything supported by rubber, spring isolators, strut tops etc will relax under stiffer spring rates over time and depending on the motion ratio or position the spring is mounted in relation to the wheel, relaxed or softened rubber will lower initial ride heights. For example VE/VF front ends can sag 15mm with progressive strut top collapse. Given that King provide a lifetime warranty on spring sag, I would've thought they'd of gone broke years ago with spring sag warranty claims if the issue was as serious as some peddling alternative spring brands claim!

Here's the day (23rd October 2020) I fitted King Springs and Monroe GT Sport to my Ute. The ride height today (2 years later) is 1mm lower in the RHF and 3mm lower in the rear (hard lid now fitted) than the day I installed and measured them.

King Springs.jpg

Last edited:

VF2R

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Ute/ 2016 VF2 SS-V Redline
Yeah well I'm not peddling anything fella..sounds like maybe you are though? Each to their own eh?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yeah well I'm not peddling anything fella..sounds like maybe you are though? Each to their own eh?
I have seen a lot of commos on Kings/Monroes and they all seem to sag after a year or two.
Now you've seen a picture of a VF Commodore on Kings that hasn't sagged after 2 years, so you've learned something new today hey!

Here's today's picture 2 years later and given there's no visible sag, it's reasonable to conclude your claim they "all" sag on King Springs is rubbish, isn't it?

20221014_191930 (2).jpg

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Also, I have seen a lot of commos on Kings/Monroes and they all seem to sag after a year or two.

Pic shows FE3/19s V Cobra/Monroes/20s

Your Ute looks good.

I've had lots and lots of 'commos' and I'd have to sit and think for a while on how my were Utes and many of them have rode on the King/Monroe combo and I must say I've never had any sagging problems, some settling but no sagging.

For my Utes I always used King heavy duty variants because that's the type of guy I am, maybe they don't sag as much.

You've found what you like which is a good thing as off the shelf springs can be a pain for many of us to get everything right, ride height, comfort and handling all in one.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Monroe GT Sport shortened shocks for lowered cars was a joint venture initiated by King Springs to provide a shock with bump clearance and short enough in droop to keep a shorter and stiffer spring captive. The Monroe GT Sport Commodore shocks were valved using King spring rates.

This means if you fit a spring with a softer rate than King, the shock has insufficient bump dampening and too much rebound. If you fit a stiffer spring than King, the shock then has too much bump dampening and insufficient rebound. Mismatching spring rate/shock valving with an alternative spring on a Monroe GT Sport shock is a bad idea without shock dyno report confirming the valving can efficiently accommodate the spring rate change.

I'm yet to see a King Spring sag more than a couple of mm's in free length fitting thousands of them since 1994. Anything supported by rubber, spring isolators, strut tops etc will relax under stiffer spring rates over time and depending on the motion ratio or position the spring is mounted in relation to the wheel, relaxed or softened rubber will lower initial ride heights. For example VE/VF front ends can sag 15mm with progressive strut top collapse. Given that King provide a lifetime warranty on spring sag, I would've thought they'd of gone broke years ago with spring sag warranty claims if the issue was as serious as some peddling alternative spring brands claim!

Here's the day (23rd October 2020) I fitted King Springs and Monroe GT Sport to my Ute. The ride height today (2 years later) is 1mm lower in the RHF and 3mm lower in the rear (hard lid now fitted) than the day I installed and measured them.

I swear to God you've said word for word exactly what I was going to say but as per usual you beat me too it. :):)

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Now you've seen a picture of a VF Commodore on Kings that hasn't sagged after 2 years, so you've learned something new today hey!

Here's today's picture 2 years later and given there's no visible sag, it's reasonable to conclude your claim they "all" sag on King Springs is rubbish, isn't it?

A bit of sagging wouldn't hurt, it needs to be lower.

1667188627761.png

• Haha
Reactions: Lex