Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF throttle body service ?!

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Manufacturers don't care as the vehicle is long past it's service/warranty period.

Pretty much this.

Coming from an BMW that is notorious for listing just the bare essentials at each scheduled service during the warranty period, which can be as far apart as 2 years and upto 30k kms (using the conditon based servicing computer)... this is done so the car appears cheap to own for the car flippers/leasers.

Once it's flipped off, it's out of warranty, and BMW don't give 2 shits about the 2nd hand owners and will charge $3k for a radiator service or $850 for a ventilation fan, or you're looking at $6k to get new turbos, because they are a consumable according to them and lasting 100k is a decent life span... lol

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Pretty much this.

Coming from an BMW that is notorious for listing just the bare essentials at each scheduled service during the warranty period, which can be as far apart as 2 years and upto 30k kms (using the conditon based servicing computer)... this is done so the car appears cheap to own for the car flippers/leasers.

Once it's flipped off, it's out of warranty, and BMW don't give 2 shits about the 2nd hand owners and will charge $3k for a radiator service or $850 for a ventilation fan, or you're looking at $6k to get new turbos, because they are a consumable according to them and lasting 100k is a decent life span... lol

BMW replaced the HVAC system in my car when it was over a year out of warranty because they agreed with me it shouldn't have completely failed so soon.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Mayuri Krab if anything, premium products that cost an arm and a leg are viewed as being of superior quality as compared to cheap products as the ACL is interpreted by consumer bodies. As such, premium products should last longer and without issues as compared to the products the rest of us buy.

So, even when outside manufacturers warranty, such premium products should be covered by your ACL statutory warranty. And, given in the car world, Kia sells a runabout for << $20k drive away and that cheap runabout has a manufacturers warranty of 7 years, I’d suggest that a premium brand vehicle would have to honour a statutory warranty claim well outside the premium brands manufacturers warranty (currently 3 years).

Problem is that many people simply don’t like to argue and just accept that manufacturers warranty is over and thus the cost of repair. Maybe they don’t know the law but they should argue their ACL rights and get it covered under statutory warranty.

No doubt if BMW continues with the “don’t care” attitude, they will come unstuck at some stage. Just ask Ford after the $10M judgment against them ;)

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Thanks to the help in this thread I just serviced my throttle body. It was super easy in the end. Take off air intake, unbolt 4 bolts. Im at 75k, I just used Nulon throttle body cleaner on both sides and didnt even need a rag. There was some carbon build up. Did the MAF sensor while all off too with MAF cleaner. Very easy.

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Surprised my stealer has never mentioned this at any service interval.

The latest service (90k km) they did ask if I wanted engine flush done for extra $45 as there might be gunk in the engine due to age. Said no thanks as I reckon my car should have one of the easiest lives (engine wise), pretty much only long drives with minimal traffic jams (about 100km on freeway/rural highway every weekend visiting parents and the rest are all 1000+km road trip mileage).