Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF & VE second hand rare & demanding high Prices.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Ok that explains it. I have been on the lookout for a VE SSV ute. One yards is asking $36k for a 2007, another is asking $30k for a 2010, and another I'm keeping an eye on has dropped their 2008 to $24k. All were just SSVs. I looked on Redbook and these come in around the $15k, so generally will only go $20k max agreed with most insurance Cos. My concern was that even Shannons would underinsure, so I keep looking and waiting for the prices to drop, which one has. While those at the high end of pricing are sitting in the yards for weeks tying up $ in stock that's not shifting.
Redlines are rare here, I think I haven't seen a Redline ute in my searching at all and I have at times put in $40k max in the search.
The redlines are only late series 2 ve and vf mate

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Ok that explains it. I have been on the lookout for a VE SSV ute. One yards is asking $36k for a 2007, another is asking $30k for a 2010, and another I'm keeping an eye on has dropped their 2008 to $24k. All were just SSVs. I looked on Redbook and these come in around the $15k, so generally will only go $20k max agreed with most insurance Cos. My concern was that even Shannons would underinsure, so I keep looking and waiting for the prices to drop, which one has. While those at the high end of pricing are sitting in the yards for weeks tying up $ in stock that's not shifting.
Redlines are rare here, I think I haven't seen a Redline ute in my searching at all and I have at times put in $40k max in the search.

And don't forget the MY 12.5 SSV Z Series.....another model for your searches.

Effectively a Redline with a sunroof (in sedan mode), different badging and mats.

EDIT: Also SS Z Series

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
In 1978 I bought a 5 Litre GTS 4 on the floor with disk brakes for $10500.....I sold it 5 years later for $10000.
See Photo....eat your heart out fella's ! ......i have the number plate on my SV6.
Looks Smurfy!

Do you find yourself wishing whoever you sold it to would offer you a drive, even though you have no real-world desire to have paid to keep it pristine for the last ~40 years?

A few of my cars would be worth a lot more now in the condition I offloaded them, if they were still around, and I'd sorta like to drive some of them again without desiring the cost of storing them nor missing out on the cars I've had since (because it's one or the other - you pay for storage or you don't get replacement cars).

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
My concern was that even Shannons would underinsure, so I keep looking and waiting for the prices to drop, which one has. While those at the high end of pricing are sitting in the yards for weeks tying up $ in stock that's not shifting.

Most insurers will insure at an agreed value and not just at 'Redbook' pricing.

If they think you are pushing it beyond a realistic value they'll want to check the vehicle out before they say yes.

I've had a couple of cars checked out by the insurer because it was hard to determine their value from a list price.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Things are a bit ridiculous at the moment.
For example, I bought Mum a 2019 Yaris which cost $20500 from a dealer, which I'd never had paid had I not been following CarSales for the 10-ish days prior and seen low-km 18-month-old cars like that disappearing despite higher asks within days.
I tried insurance with a few of the majors, they were all much the same but I'll quote the NRMA numbers.

So insuring it Agreed Value for what they considered an average value was ~$650/yr, at $18500.
If I wanted to push it to their max Agreed Value it was going to cost ~$1100/yr, at ~$20400 (can't recall exact value - a bit less than I paid though).
Enquired about a Market Value policy, that was going to be ~$600/yr. I asked what they pay out, she said she couldn't give me a current value BUT unofficially look at the RedBook site & see what they say current value is, and their default offer is the middle of that range.
RedBook had them at Private Sale for $19600 - $22500.
In other words - current payout on a $600/yr Agreed Value policy would be around $21k (this thing is pretty much as-new but has 35k km), but you could also pay $1100/yr for Agreed Value payout of $20400.

Now yeah, I know they're charging based on risk & they're bargaining that market values will drop before May 2022. But still, it's the case that some market value policies costing less than agreed value policies are paying out more than those agreed values.
Which is downright strange IMHO.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

If they think you are pushing it beyond a realistic value they'll want to check the vehicle out before they say yes.

I've had a couple of cars checked out by the insurer because it was hard to determine their value from a list price.

When shannons were determining an agreed value for my VC, they looked at some for sale and gave me a price in the middle of what was available...None of what was available had the modifications mine has....IMA, it was over 3 times what I asked for and they didn't look at the car to make the offer....

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ A VC is a somewhat different proposition (to insure &/or to replace) than the 364 SS-V Redines currently for sale on CarSales ...

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I've had a couple of ridiculous offers on mine in recent times but I plan to either drive it into the ground and/or hand it down. It's gone nearly 20 years and 300k, so now that everything aside the body and chassis is new again, I don't see why it won't do another 20 years.... Maybe with a few broken components along the way. Like my driveshafts yesterday :D

The thing is the market for these puppy's won't last forever as those who appreciate the burbling V8 will all eventually shuffle this mortal coil. I hate to say but said folk couldn't give a toss about v6's

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Auto Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Auto Sedan.
Insurance depends on a number of factors in NSW like the NRMA:-

Red P's, Green P's, age of driver, number of policies you hold with the insurer, number of claims you have had, how many years with the same insurer, has any insurer ever refused claims in the last 5 years, garaged over night, how many K's you drive in a year, age of vehicle, no finance, licence suspended/cancelled in last 2 years, bald tyres, leaving car unlocked, V8 or V6, modifications etc, alcohol or drug related issues, criminal history, age excess and the list goes on and on.

Just remember that all your history is now related on a computer some where and may be accessed by the authorised insurer.

It is like having an Australian Card but it is all stored in cyber space.

Car repairers do not want to know you if you are insured with Coles, Wollies, Meercat and the ones that operate out of the boot of a FC Holden....so stay with respected insurers.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Every insurer has to have a place of repair that accepts their business. It would just be stupidity if they couldn't repair your bus, unless it was uneconomical or there was an issue in accessing parts.