Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 LS3: Tekno Performance Stage 1 - who has it?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Yeah I don't know why people want their V8 to be quiet, don't see the point of the Bi-modals. When Greg organised my 350 pack I spec'd the 3" exhaust, and now that it's got a decent sized cam (which I'm 100% happy with after Tekno tuned it), it's loud, it's got attitude and it's still fairly reasonable to drive.

Next work I do it's going back to Tekno again for its third tune.

Also FWIW I don't like the stock system on the VF2 either. It's got some volume but it's raspy and thongslappy - worse than one of the old Xforce systems.

Rikes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Yeah I don't know why people want their V8 to be quiet, don't see the point of the Bi-modals. When Greg organised my 350 pack I spec'd the 3" exhaust, and now that it's got a decent sized cam (which I'm 100% happy with after Tekno tuned it), it's loud, it's got attitude and it's still fairly reasonable to drive.

Also FWIW I don't like the stock system on the VF2 either. It's got some volume but it's raspy and thongslappy - worse than one of the old Xforce systems.

Yeah I leave my 3" system on........they all close on the highway unless you pull the fuse.
Nothing worse than a drone at 110kmh on a highway. I think that's the reason for getting bi modal.

JTmofo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Sportswagon

I want my V8 to be quiet under certain circumstances. Its a family car, driven by more than just me. Bimodal gives me what I want, and I would under no circumstance, want a 3" system on my V8... but everyone to their own. :spot on:

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Yeah I leave my 3" system on........they all close on the highway unless you pull the fuse.
Nothing worse than a drone at 110kmh on a highway. I think that's the reason for getting bi modal.

Drone is nothing a cam can't fix. I had a little drone at ~1800rpm with my 3", but with a cam upgrade there's no drone whatsoever - and it's still very quiet on the highway with minimal load.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Drone is nothing a cam can't fix. I had a little drone at ~1800rpm with my 3", but with a cam upgrade there's no drone whatsoever - and it's still very quiet on the highway with minimal load.

Really

I had a 224/244 and was alright bit of drone then 239/247 and drone city, change to KPM system no drone(was 3" X Force)

Cams tend to affect drone but make it worse I thought

VESSVBLACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1
Really

I had a 224/244 and was alright bit of drone then 239/247 and drone city, change to KPM system no drone(was 3" X Force)

How does the KPM sound compared to the xforce?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Really

Best I can tell mines a HM system with h-pipe. Stock cam it had about a 400rpm rev range where it droned like a pig. With the 232/234 114lsa cam, I've got zero drone, and I've been looking for it.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
How does the KPM sound compared to the xforce?

Lot better

Pre cam X force was good as a pure cat back, added Headers and cats not as good Plus cam and loud droney.

KPM lost me a few kw's but better sound no drone

jbcow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 redline sportwagon
Lot better

Pre cam X force was good as a pure cat back, added Headers and cats not as good Plus cam and loud droney.

KPM lost me a few kw's but better sound no drone

@blackve76

What's the KPM system? I started this thread originally as I was looking at Tekno and thus X-Force as an option. I have spoken to Tekno performance and plan to go to their workshop and listen to one of their Stage 1 cars in the next week or two.

I am not keen on any drone at all and don't have the $ to be replacing exhaust systems until I find one that works. Any feedback helps.

Cheers!

brettley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS-V Redline

Hi Smashfist,

I know this is an old post, hope you're still listening...

I've been driving around with my Tekno Stage 1 3" cat-back for the last year and considering a cam upgrade now for two reasons - 1. get a little more power and excitement, and 2. thinking it might get rid of the drone around 1800rpm.

It's interesting that you said the cam fixed the drone (I was only hoping it might), do you mind sharing what you had done as part of the swap... was it Tekno Stage 2, what grind did you get, anything else you upgraded at the same time etc.?