Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 Redline - Manual Gearbox / Diff Issues

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
I know it's an old thread, but it looks like there's now a definitive answer on the 2nd gear shift problem.

Tremec knows about the 2nd gear shifting resistance, notchiness, crunching issue with the TR6060 box. There is a Tremec manufactured replacement hybrid carbon/metallic syncro that can replace the Tremec OEM carbon synchro. Seems everyone who's made the change has had success with it. Part is cheap. Labour is not.

Tremec replacement part number for TR6060 is: TUES11858.
If you're going down this path, obviously confirm correct part number for your car before purchase.

More info:
Tremec 6060 2nd Gear Grind Issue Repair
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412240

1_2 Shift Grind with GT500 and the TR6060_Mystery Solved
(Key details at 1min and 10mins if you're not into killing time).

I used to get the problem in winter and when the box was cold for the first few shifts after starting the car. Dropping the GM OEM ATF fluid and replacing with Penrite Pro Gear 70-75w really improved the shift quality. It's not an issue for me now so don't need to go any further with it, but thought this info might be a useful reference for others.

Attachments

• IMG_1834.jpg
    IMG_1834.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 229
  • PROG70750025.png
    PROG70750025.png
    604.5 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:

BlaserF3

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF/S1 SS Storm Ute - quite warmed up
My 2015 VF/SS didn't shift smoothly from 1-2 with 38k on the clock until I drained the factory fill and put in Penrite full Syn Pro gear 70-75. It's spec'd for Tremec manual trans. It did help immensely! Will never be a silky smooth shift but a whole lot better now!

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Does everyone else have to slip the clutch while reversing or taking off from a driveway in 1st while cold?

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Man this is a nostalgic thread. Pre-MSE days when I drove a VE, had a deposit down on a Redline, test drove a LSA R8, then argued with the dealer that there was a MSE coming and it would be better than the clubby for less money. The dealer swore the MSE would never get MRC, at that time it was only on the GTS. I changed my deposit to the MSE before it was officially announced. Best thing I ever did!

Like others, I get a crunchy gearbox in 2nd and 3rd sometimes but suffice to say the trans is a beauty most of the time, just have to warm it up, drive a bit harder and change gears quickly.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Does everyone else have to slip the clutch while reversing or taking off from a driveway in 1st while cold?

I don’t either. I can just ease the clutch out and idle off without throttle.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I don’t either. I can just ease the clutch out and idle off without throttle.

I'm the same when moving it in and out of the garage, I just idle it out.

Changing cogs can feel a little rough at times compared to some of the smoother boxes out there particularly when cold but the clutch is smooth and works fine.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
I'll have to try idle. went to do it this morning and yeah needed clutch but that with a light throttle. Can roll out in neutral but its slow and feels awkward not in gear ready to roll on the road.

Edit: tried idle reverse and it stalls because I can't go fast enough for idle without clutch. Gonna just roll down in gear full depressed clutch from now on.

Last edited:

Unicorn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon
Sounds like the 6 speed manual in my then brand new 2012 turbo fg ute,absolutely rubbish,notchy,noisy,hard to change gears etc.
The qc on the tremec boxes is lacking,a decent blueprinting/shimming of the box from someone who knows what they are doing and they are miles better,some were getting them done from almost brand new on the fg turbos/gt.
We ended up getting ford/tremec to shim/blueprint our gearbox and it fixed the issues.
Do holden still really use the t56? surely not?