Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 SS - Black edition

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS

Last edited:

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire
Okay. I like the look of dry filter

Just looking at it yesterday undid the screw and lifted lid.
Looks to be the same filter surface to the OEM one which is also dry

Keen to have a dyno tune done to see if there is any improvement to be made

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
In my case rotofab alone gained up to 10rwkw. With dyno tune 25rwkw. I did it a month ago. I posted graphs etc

20rwkw less than with harrop otr. Torque dropped too.

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
In my case rotofab alone gained up to 10rwkw. With dyno tune 25rwkw. I did it a month ago. I posted graphs etc

20rwkw less than with harrop otr. Torque dropped too.
Yes I remember reading that.

If mine were a track only car I would go OTR for sure for the extra power

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Peak power and torque with OTR is at top end, which if you dont track the car you will see little benefit on the street; apart from having to clean the filter every couple months 

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
All my experience and research suggests that the power difference between the OTR and Rotofab is not in either being restrictive. It's about intake air temperature. OTR will always provide coldest air possible when the car is moving. MCM's LS3 BMW had almost 30rwkw power difference with air filter simply being moved out of the engine bay. Under bonnet temps in VF LS3's are known issue for intakes on them. Holden pleyed with pod setup for them but ditched it as they could not seal of engine bay temps. Rotofab went with enclosed airbox for the same reason. I have some ideas how to get even cooler air to Rotofab ...

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
I have some ideas how to get even cooler air to Rotofab ...
ed6687a02f0aec226b164e104cea49b6--los-simpsons-burger.jpg

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
All my experience and research suggests that the power difference between the OTR and Rotofab is not in either being restrictive. It's about intake air temperature. OTR will always provide coldest air possible when the car is moving. MCM's LS3 BMW had almost 30rwkw power difference with air filter simply being moved out of the engine bay. Under bonnet temps in VF LS3's are known issue for intakes on them. Holden pleyed with pod setup for them but ditched it as they could not seal of engine bay temps. Rotofab went with enclosed airbox for the same reason. I have some ideas how to get even cooler air to Rotofab ...
I have had same thoughts
You probably saw the layers of heat reflective foil I put on the RotoFab where you cannot see.
I have also added a strip under the intake tube reflecting heat from radiator hose which I heat wrapped.

I have thought some simple tube drawing air from some in front.

Maverick man carbon sells these engine cover plates that could be aqua dipped or painted or wrapped perhaps (heat May wreck it though) I would Ike to get a CF version of the intake runners which would look good too

I don’t understand why GM did not make the bonnet vents more efficient in removing heat.

They do not look like they flow much

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I have removed perspex window on the airbox for fully sick pod noises. I know I have introduced hot air to intake system. This is just temporary as I am cutting and polishing the perspex. Too many fine scratches. Will leave it off for a few days 

VF SS Rotofab perspex delete

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
The perspex is heavily tinted, so that explains why it's hard to see the filter inside. I wish it was just clear.