Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII FE2 and Walkinshaw Lowered Springs

mfrancis1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais-V V8
Hi New Poster,
I am just about to take the plunge and purchase a 2015 VFII Calais-V V8 demo. I think it is a pretty good deal; includes 20inch HF wheels, tint, boot lip spoiler and they are fitting Walkinshaw lowering kit for $50K drive-away. But I am wondering whether the car will behave/handle alright if it has the standard shocks with the lowered springs. I am a mature driver in their late forties; I am not going to drive this thing like a race car; but if driven spiritedly I want the behaviour to be predictable and I want it to ride well over lumps and bumps without getting any unacceptable bounce. The primary purpose of the suspension mod is looks and improved handling (flatter cornering) relative to the standard suspension on the Calais or SSV.

Has anyone had any experience with a VF where they have lowered the car with springs and left the standard FE2 shocks. Would appreciate any thoughts.

VE_CalaisV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportswagon
Good choice with the VF II Calais. Beautiful car.

From what I understand the Calais has the FE1.5 suspension which is a bit more supple than the FE2..

I had a VE Calais V8 with the walkinshaw kit (also had the walkinshaw exhaust, otr and tune package too) and although the handling improved, it was horrible over lumps and bumps. If you want to improve handling and also have the car ride better you have to upgrade the shocks too. So my recommendation is to not get it with the lowering kit if it's springs only.

Rikes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Springs only feels crap.
Short springs with short travel shocks will give you a smooth ride.
My VF2 came with FE3 which sat really high.
I lowered it 25mm all round, short travel shocks and springs.....rides as good as factory.
Will cost more, but you get what you pay for.

Cruzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV
Springs only feels crap.
Short springs with short travel shocks will give you a smooth ride.
My VF2 came with FE3 which sat really high.
I lowered it 25mm all round, short travel shocks and springs.....rides as good as factory.
Will cost more, but you get what you pay for.

What brand springs and shocks did you go with?

Cheers