Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vh sl/e 355

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
finally got the bitch in!
the converter had slipped foward so out came the engine, repositioned the converter onto the spline and put some rape tape on it to hold it in position.
dropped the engine back in and bolted all the underside parts into position...starter, stally, dustcover and lower bellhousing bolts.
bolted up the headers and top of bellhousing... have left the engine mount bolts finger tight for the moment so i can then use the chain to adjust the level of the engine, then tighten it up!

Just need to buy some spark plugs, oil and some rocker cover and shes done....and attach sensors and drop in radiator...
back to work tomorrow after 7 days off so ill be doin all the little stuff when i get home in the arvos......
This will be the last engine swap ill be doing for a long time...fkn over it!
this cars had 3 engines in the last 2.5 yrs.. it think thats enough

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
good to hear!
bet you can't wait to start the bastard now and reap the rewards of all of your efforts

btw I spoke to HPE Pete about doing my heads as well. I won't be going to the extent of yours as my engine is a fairly mild cammed 304, but I discussed my requirements and he quoted around $1500. His work is really good from what I've seen and read from others. Definitely someone I would trust to do the work

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
good to hear!
bet you can't wait to start the bastard now and reap the rewards of all of your efforts

btw I spoke to HPE Pete about doing my heads as well. I won't be going to the extent of yours as my engine is a fairly mild cammed 304, but I discussed my requirements and he quoted around $1500. His work is really good from what I've seen and read from others. Definitely someone I would trust to do the work
yeah that package you got will give you some good response and figures for sure...definately a go-a! :spot on:
I rang a few people that do head work around bris and the goldy, none of them could show me examples or figures of the work they do except pete and another bloke down at tweed hds....its a good chunk of cash and you need to know what it gets you!

when do you plan on getting the work done on the heads??

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
those pictures made my hand slide under the desk and do something that made the guy working next to me feel very awkward

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
^^those pictures crashed my phone with all the data!

Glad to hear of the progress too:)

Electrical work, Adelaide all areas.
Pm me.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
yeah that package you got will give you some good response and figures for sure...definately a go-a! :spot on:
I rang a few people that do head work around bris and the goldy, none of them could show me examples or figures of the work they do except pete and another bloke down at tweed hds....its a good chunk of cash and you need to know what it gets you!

when do you plan on getting the work done on the heads??

I see Pete has also gone with the umbrella type valve stem seals on your heads. He suggested the same for mine. Yeah I'm hoping to squeeze another 25hp at the rears - take it up to 300rwhp. Pete seems to think it's a realistic goal with headwork. I messaged him about it a few months ago. I'm not sure exactly when I'll get it done, I should get it done sooner rather than later, but at the moment my money is tied up with more suspension refinements. Want to knock 5 seconds off my lap time at Lakeside :)

I was in a similar situation to yourself in regards to trying to find a reputable head porter. I know stuff all about head porting, so I wouldn't know a good job from a bad one. So it's important for me to have total faith in the guy doing my heads before I part with big $$. I've followed Pete's threads at AV8 for some time now, and he's not afraid to show the progress of his work and the results. And then I've seen the feedback from several of his customers as well on the forum, plus he seems to have a passion for Holden V8's, so I definitely feel I'd be leaving my heads in good hands.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
I see Pete has also gone with the umbrella type valve stem seals on your heads. He suggested the same for mine. Yeah I'm hoping to squeeze another 25hp at the rears - take it up to 300rwhp. Pete seems to think it's a realistic goal with headwork. I messaged him about it a few months ago. I'm not sure exactly when I'll get it done, I should get it done sooner rather than later, but at the moment my money is tied up with more suspension refinements. Want to knock 5 seconds off my lap time at Lakeside :)

I was in a similar situation to yourself in regards to trying to find a reputable head porter. I know stuff all about head porting, so I wouldn't know a good job from a bad one. So it's important for me to have total faith in the guy doing my heads before I part with big $$. I've followed Pete's threads at AV8 for some time now, and he's not afraid to show the progress of his work and the results. And then I've seen the feedback from several of his customers as well on the forum, plus he seems to have a passion for Holden V8's, so I definitely feel I'd be leaving my heads in good hands.

5 secs...that a good chunk of time off the lap! is that possible with just the suspension upgrades?...how is that suspension upgrade going got it in yet?... i think the front end suspension will be my next challenge, howoever im just going to enjoy it as it is at the moment and not touch anything for at least 6-12mths....plus the mrs says ive wasted enough coin lately haha same ole story haha

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Just under 3K once complete

Whoa, sorry mate, but this is exactly why i'm glad i didn't waist my money sticking with a Holden V8. I don't regret my decision to go Chev for 1 second when i see prices like that.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Whoa, sorry mate, but this is exactly why i'm glad i didn't waist my money sticking with a Holden V8. I don't regret my decision to go Chev for 1 second when i see prices like that.
true that but if i was hard up and concerned on prices i wouldnt be building an engine. ive seen and heard it all before lol.
if i wanted to go a chev engine i wouldnt have a VH, one day ill have another car to accomidate for one.

Everyones jumping on the chev trend/bandwagon....sure theyre cheap to get power from and parts for and this is the reason why holden engine parts are going up coz everyones jumping ship......sh!t happens

yeah it sounds/is alot to pay...but what would it cost to full port n polish and all new components for a pair of heads to suit a chev?? not inc purchase price!...what would a complete build cost for a chev engine?? inc every single component required to fire it up ... bolts, gaskets, lube, heads, block, dizzy, machining ect ect and every single part being brand new???? cheap **** crate donks dont count...ive kept all my receipts for the engine and added it all up the other day and was suprised with the total..... not as much as what i was first lead to believe