Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vh sl/e 355

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
All right for a torana not as easy to fit and make legal in anything later then a vb.
thats it! if we wanted to play chev, we wouldnt play with commodores...well 1st gens anyway

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Whoa, sorry mate, but this is exactly why i'm glad i didn't waist my money sticking with a Holden V8. I don't regret my decision to go Chev for 1 second when i see prices like that.

Thats not even an expensive pair lol. People have spent more on cast heads and over double on alloys.

Pics are looking good Mr J.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Thats not even an expensive pair lol. People have spent more on cast heads and over double on alloys.

Pics are looking good Mr J.
thanks dan!
one of me mates has spent around 6k on heads (maybe more im not 100% certain)...over time chasing maximum flow for max lift on a solid roller cammed 355 with approx over 700thou lift if not more...but hes chasing ET's so its a different ball game altogether.

Justin

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
true that but if i was hard up and concerned on prices i wouldnt be building an engine. ive seen and heard it all before lol.
if i wanted to go a chev engine i wouldnt have a VH, one day ill have another car to accomidate for one.

Everyones jumping on the chev trend/bandwagon....sure theyre cheap to get power from and parts for and this is the reason why holden engine parts are going up coz everyones jumping ship......sh!t happens

yeah it sounds/is alot to pay...but what would it cost to full port n polish and all new components for a pair of heads to suit a chev?? not inc purchase price!...what would a complete build cost for a chev engine?? inc every single component required to fire it up ... bolts, gaskets, lube, heads, block, dizzy, machining ect ect and every single part being brand new???? cheap **** crate donks dont count...ive kept all my receipts for the engine and added it all up the other day and was suprised with the total..... not as much as what i was first lead to believe

I'm not saying anyone is "hard up", just when i priced it all up, i couldn't justify the price to go with a Holden V8, so the decision was made there and then to go Chev. I know it's not the right engine option for a Commodore, hence why i don't play with Commodores anymore (well, i never have really).

Also, everyone is going Chev (or LS1, not really my thing though) these days for good reason, they're cheap power for $ value.

As for the heads, i bought AFR 195cc alloys, complete, CNC ported and flow nearly 300CFM out of the box for $1800. How could i pass that up?

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
5 secs...that a good chunk of time off the lap! is that possible with just the suspension upgrades?...how is that suspension upgrade going got it in yet?... i think the front end suspension will be my next challenge, howoever im just going to enjoy it as it is at the moment and not touch anything for at least 6-12mths....plus the mrs says ive wasted enough coin lately haha same ole story haha

I've just ordered up a set of 450lb front springs and 275lb rears - see how that goes. Yeah 5 seconds is a fair bit of time, but we are talking 5 seconds off a fairly average time. If I was already managing a good lap time, then it would be a big call, but even the HQ series cars are lapping around 5 seconds quicker than me lol! I know where I can pick up the time, I've seen the areas back on video where I'm losing time on compared to the other street cars which are pulling better times. I just need to improve on my racecraft, get the right suspension setup and fit some R-spec tyres.

But yeah, just enjoy the car for a while before you take on anything else. It's very rewarding to just take the car out and drive it after all the hard work. I'm sure you'll have a grin from ear to ear :)

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
true that but if i was hard up and concerned on prices i wouldnt be building an engine. ive seen and heard it all before lol.
if i wanted to go a chev engine i wouldnt have a VH, one day ill have another car to accomidate for one.

Everyones jumping on the chev trend/bandwagon....sure theyre cheap to get power from and parts for and this is the reason why holden engine parts are going up coz everyones jumping ship......sh!t happens

yeah it sounds/is alot to pay...but what would it cost to full port n polish and all new components for a pair of heads to suit a chev?? not inc purchase price!...what would a complete build cost for a chev engine?? inc every single component required to fire it up ... bolts, gaskets, lube, heads, block, dizzy, machining ect ect and every single part being brand new???? cheap **** crate donks dont count...ive kept all my receipts for the engine and added it all up the other day and was suprised with the total..... not as much as what i was first lead to believe

I wholeheartedly agree with this
There is no question, excluding the cost of a conversion, a Chev or LS engine is a lot cheaper to extract power from than a Holden V8. The Holden V8 is unique to Australia. So we don't have the advantage of the US engines when it comes to competition in aftermarket parts, hence we pay a lot more for the same sort of parts. That's something I'm prepared to do, because I have a passion for the Aussie Holden V8. If bang for buck was my priority I'd stick a near stock 2JZ under the bonnet, wind up the boost and it's going to humiliate a similar budget SBC or LS V8..

Why do we even choose to blow a fortune on a Commodore or Torana, only to be blown away by a high tech import that cost half the money ? Answer of course being because we love these cars. Same goes for the Holden V8. There's a lot of us who are still passionate about this engine, and proud to have an Aussie icon powering our cars.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks dan!
one of me mates has spent around 6k on heads (maybe more im not 100% certain)...over time chasing maximum flow for max lift on a solid roller cammed 355 with approx over 700thou lift if not more...but hes chasing ET's so its a different ball game altogether.

Justin

Yea thats it. Spent $3600 on my heads. Also set up for the 1/4 but couldnt justify paying near on 6k for the same cfm.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
I wholeheartedly agree with this
There is no question, excluding the cost of a conversion, a Chev or LS engine is a lot cheaper to extract power from than a Holden V8. The Holden V8 is unique to Australia. So we don't have the advantage of the US engines when it comes to competition in aftermarket parts, hence we pay a lot more for the same sort of parts. That's something I'm prepared to do, because I have a passion for the Aussie Holden V8. If bang for buck was my priority I'd stick a near stock 2JZ under the bonnet, wind up the boost and it's going to humiliate a similar budget SBC or LS V8..

Why do we even choose to blow a fortune on a Commodore or Torana, only to be blown away by a high tech import that cost half the money ? Answer of course being because we love these cars. Same goes for the Holden V8. There's a lot of us who are still passionate about this engine, and proud to have an Aussie icon powering our cars.

So true!.....

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Yea thats it. Spent $3600 on my heads. Also set up for the 1/4 but couldnt justify paying near on 6k for the same cfm.
6k nah neither could i! i went the wrong way about it though, going back and forth to the head porter to try different things, and then he went E85 so more work....he changes his mind like his undies haha hence the 6k.

who did your heads TK?

Got your beast up and running yet?

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea TK did mine. Motor is done and well runable just not in the car. Been engine dynoed just need to find the time to finish the engine bay then it all can start going in the car. Itching to get it going just like yourself lol