Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vh sl/e 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
hey mate how wide of tyre have you had on the old girl.... have you rolled your guards??

keen to see what i can fit on the rear of mine

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
ok, my simmons are 16x8's with a 225/50/16 tyres front and rear....no scrub and no guards rolled.

the MT et Street radials are 235/60/15's and are on 15x7 rims

no scrubbing and still a fair bit of clearance on the rear.

Ive never gone any bigger/wider tyre on the simmons, ideally that 16x8 mag needs a 235 wide tyre

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
So I finally built up the courage and got out to willowbank to give the ol girl a blast.
I ran it in full street trim except for the ET street radials on the rear.
Was shitting bricks somewhat with some very intimidating cars out there but they were cars running under 10's so I was never lined up with one luckily

First run I was just feeling the car out to see how it behaved, did the burnout and then came of the throttle pretty quickly and she over fuelled and stalled, just about to cross the finish line and it nosed over and chugged a fair bit. So I adjusted the idle mixtures and also the idle speed screw to counteract the stall after the burnout, then I raised the fuel bowl levels on both primaries and secondaries to eliminate the nose over..
All adjustments that were made worked a treat

Heres my slips for the night

Reaction score
Members Ride
gotta be happy with that.... should be low 11s with a few more passes.... and maybe ditch the trim haha

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
yeah I did some calcs based on the MPH, diff ratio, stall speed, and rpm across the line and it showed 11.2's it also showed 385rwhp

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
This pic a mate took....should've got me smoking the tyres

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Nice work mate. Definitely got a low 11 in it with some more practice. My brothers VH SL/E ran 11.3 at the same Mph with a stock stroke 308 with 440 HP. It looks like yours is making similar power. Is that full exhaust? If so, are you going to try open pipes?

Nice reaction time on the last run too.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Nice work mate. Definitely got a low 11 in it with some more practice. My brothers VH SL/E ran 11.3 at the same Mph with a stock stroke 308 with 440 HP. It looks like yours is making similar power. Is that full exhaust? If so, are you going to try open pipes?

Nice reaction time on the last run too.
geez 440hp?? where at the wheels or fly, what stick and gears is in it??

yeah full pipes, and spare wheel with jack in the boot....basically full street trim excluding the rear tyres.

next time I go in a fortnight il be dropping the exhaust off either at the diff or headers, remove spare wheel, remove front sway bar, rejet the carb and play with the tyre pressures a bit more.

My 3.55 gears are going to kill my 60ft times....if I can get a 1.60 on the 60ft with these gears ill be happy.
I was only shifting at 6000 as my stock tacho goes crazy when It goes over 6000....a new tach is in need, I should be shifting at 6800

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
hey it looks like i have left the same chrome off as you.... looks much neater with just 1 strip of chrome around both windows.... only thing im going to do more on mine is black the top section of chrome on the rear quarter vent.