Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Video: Stock V Hsv Headers On 2.5inch Catback

gt3540rx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SII Sportwagon
what cats did you use?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
what cats did you use?

Stock HSV / Holden (both same item), just modified with larger inlet and outlet.
Anyone who tries to tell/sell you on a better flow for naturally aspirated 6.0/6.2 litre is politely wetting in your pocket.
Basic fitter and turner stuff, cut at the join(s) and weld larger flange connectors x 4. Takes 1-1.5 hours, looks bog stock, so weigh that up versus 2 x stainless cats grinning from the hoist that'll cost twice (maybe five) times that, instantly void your warranty, zero benefit.
I'd guesstimate this mod - to get motor 'breathing right' - on top of OTR & tune is worth >16% power (fn amazing) and torque is around 630nm -> based on the fact it now does 0-190 kph in 12.5 secs.
Sounds like an LS3 (on ethanol of course).
Definitely worth it if you have an L76 or L77.
Want some more pics?

Last edited:

gt3540rx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SII Sportwagon
ok cool, Ive got a L77 like you.
I cant see the pics you've posted for some reason

AD07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS V 6.0
Stock HSV / Holden (both same item), just modified with larger inlet and outlet.
Anyone who tries to tell/sell you on a better flow for naturally aspirated 6.0/6.2 litre is politely wetting in your pocket.
Basic fitter and turner stuff, cut at the join(s) and weld larger flange connectors x 4. Takes 1-1.5 hours, looks bog stock, so weigh that up versus 2 x stainless cats grinning from the hoist that'll cost twice (maybe five) times that, instantly void your warranty, zero benefit.
I'd guesstimate this mod - to get motor 'breathing right' - on top of OTR & tune is worth >16% power (fn amazing) and torque is around 630nm -> based on the fact it now does 0-190 kph in 12.5 secs.
Sounds like an LS3 (on ethanol of course).
Definitely worth it if you have an L76 or L77.
Want some more pics?

They look like a good upgrade & something that im after.
But surely, a good set of hi-flow cats have to be better than the stock ones....

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
They look like a good upgrade & something that im after.
But surely, a good set of hi-flow cats have to be better than the stock ones....

Firstly if you really have plenty money to spare, like $700 - $1000 for custom extractors, $500+ refit, $400 x 2 for shiny legal cats... more power to you, literally!!
However only if someone can prove to you without a doubt that an LS2/3 with usual bolt-ons is going to out-puff the velocity of the stock GM Performance cats installed on HSV / Corvette / Camaro / Cadillac and Holden V8s... then I'd weigh up the [BS] and marginal gain versus stock appearance / cost and hassle. Just reuse stockies & make em flow 3" in and out.
BOTTOM LINE: Exhaust scavenging is done by the headers, cats are essential and these ones hardly restrict flow, not worth going outside GM spec / law with shinies. Plus the finished look will fool typical inspection / servicing for warranty.
Google 'SS HSV headers' to hear YouTube clip of white VIC ute with 2.5" catback.
I have some tips on managing the front flex joint coupling, AFM tune and eliminating drone so if you want more details on this brilliant mod let me know.

Last edited:

shterk

Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom VE Calais V Sportwagon S2 A6
Hey PIR4TE, I'd really be interested in any more tips you'd possibly have relating to your set up as it is pretty much spot on to what I"d be looking to achieve with my AFM A6 wagon.
I just recently got my hands on a set of HSV headers and cats and was looking at replacing the factory manifold rubbish until I read your posts regarding the modifying of the cats which really interested me.
I'm not after a street weapon, just simply want to somewhat "wake up" the beast without going to extremes and forking out heaps of cash for what is simply our family vehicle! A bit more grunt with minimal drone (if none at all but many state that if you keep AFM enabled you'll have to live with some drone) and a bit more power along the way.
At present though I can't seem to decide on a CAI; OTR or air box and pod filter setup... ahh decisions decisions!

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hey PIR4TE, I'd really be interested in any more tips you'd possibly have relating to your set up as it is pretty much spot on to what I"d be looking to achieve with my AFM A6 wagon.
I just recently got my hands on a set of HSV headers and cats and was looking at replacing the factory manifold rubbish until I read your posts regarding the modifying of the cats which really interested me.
I'm not after a street weapon, just simply want to somewhat "wake up" the beast without going to extremes and forking out heaps of cash for what is simply our family vehicle! A bit more grunt with minimal drone (if none at all but many state that if you keep AFM enabled you'll have to live with some drone) and a bit more power along the way.
At present though I can't seem to decide on a CAI; OTR or air box and pod filter setup... ahh decisions decisions!

Don't waste your time with factory cats. There euro 4 compliant 400 cell! MASSIVE power thief. If you actually look at the inside of one you will wonder how on earth the exhaust gas gets through them. Get yourself a set of 200 cpi cats best thing you will ever do good for at least 10HP at the wheels and huge torque spike!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Firstly if you really have plenty money to spare, like $700 - $1000 for custom extractors, $500+ refit, $400 x 2 for shiny legal cats... more power to you, literally!!
However only if someone can prove to you without a doubt that an LS2/3 with usual bolt-ons is going to out-puff the velocity of the stock GM Performance cats installed on HSV / Corvette / Camaro / Cadillac and Holden V8s... then I'd weigh up the [BS] and marginal gain versus stock appearance / cost and hassle. Just reuse stockies & make em flow 2.5" in and out.
BOTTOM LINE: Exhaust scavenging is done by the headers, cats are essential and these ones hardly restrict flow, not worth going outside GM spec / law with shinies. Plus the finished look will fool typical inspection / servicing for warranty.
Google 'SS HSV headers' to hear YouTube clip of white VIC ute with 2.5" catback.
I have some tips on managing the front flex joint coupling, AFM tune and eliminating drone so if you want more details on this brilliant mod let me know.

Dude you have no idea what your talking about. GM performance? Wtf is that? There FACTORY cats that are EURO 4-5 compliant and hardly restrict flow? That is the biggest load of BS I've heard in my life. You want advice on exhausts etc ring Greg at VCM or talk to not an abba fan. Simple.

shterk

Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom VE Calais V Sportwagon S2 A6
I think the point PIR4TE is trying to make is that you can work with stock parts and modify them to an extent that increases their potential over stock form for minimal cost, I agree that aftermarket is better and would result in more gains but that's not the argument here! If you have the money of course you can acquire more power by replacing the stock parts, that's just fact!
I'm all for aftermarket, if I had the money and my car wasn't under warranty I wouldn't hesitate in upgrading everything (ie full exhaust etc).
Bottom line is if you can make do with what you have, mod components to an extent which won't cost you an arm or a leg and get an increase in performance then cudos to you!

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I think the point PIR4TE is trying to make is that you can work with stock parts and modify them to an extent that increases their potential over stock form for minimal cost, I agree that aftermarket is better and would result in more gains but that's not the argument here! If you have the money of course you can acquire more power by replacing the stock parts, that's just fact!
I'm all for aftermarket, if I had the money and my car wasn't under warranty I wouldn't hesitate in upgrading everything (ie full exhaust etc).
Bottom line is if you can make do with what you have, mod components to an extent which won't cost you an arm or a leg and get an increase in performance then cudos to you!

Holden frown upon you moddding things they spent billions developing. You won't have warranty issues over an exhaust if you do your dealer is an arse.