Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Video: Stock V Hsv Headers On 2.5inch Catback

shterk

Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom VE Calais V Sportwagon S2 A6
Holden frown upon you moddding things they spent billions developing. You won't have warranty issues over an exhaust if you do your dealer is an arse.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

I understand that but I've heard different things from different people, some say warranty will be void others say it's up to the discretion of the dealer.
Holden are stupid for developing an '8' that sounds like a '4'!

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I understand that but I've heard different things from different people, some say warranty will be void others say it's up to the discretion of the dealer.
Holden are stupid for developing an '8' that sounds like a '4'!

My suggestion to you is get a nice 3" catback will improve power and sound mint! Then if your patient save up for a set of decent headers ie; pacemaker there about 800 fitted without cats about $1100 with high flow cats well worth the wait don't waste your time fitting HSV headers unless you have ZERO intentions of going further with the car like high flow cats and 4-1 headers etc.

shterk

Reaction score
Members Ride
You guys really crack me up!
Turtle, if you had the chance to gain extra power at mnimal cost, would you?
I know I could replace stock parts with aftermarket, get a tune done and end up with a lot more power but at the same time I'd be spending a fair bit of money to achieve it.
The point I'm getting at is I wouldn't mind achieving slightly more power over stock at a fraction of the cost of going for straight bolt on aftermarket upgrades, 30% of the price for 60-70% of the power I'd get from aftermarket headers and cats sounds good to me.
It takes more effort to get results using stock parts so I commend those who like the challenge, otherwise sure go ahead and spend big bucks but you won't make double the power will you!

shterk

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not to mention everyone recommending you turn off AFM, that sounds like an easy way out!

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Not to mention everyone recommending you turn off AFM, that sounds like an easy way out!

I'll leave you with this because this thread is just crap. Anyone who claims 620nm f torque at the wheels with an unopened L77 is a gronk. End of story.

shterk

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'll leave you with this because this thread is just crap. Anyone who claims 620nm f torque at the wheels with an unopened L77 is a gronk. End of story.

Out of curiosity Turtle, how much extra power did you achieve with your vcm mods as I was looking at doing the exact same setup myself?

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Out of curiosity Turtle, how much extra power did you achieve with your vcm mods as I was looking at doing the exact same setup myself?

315.7hp at the wheels to 361.4 at the wheels and about 510nm of torque at the wheels can't remember exact torque figure I'd need to check. They punch out about 470nm stock I think. That's why I said kid brains 620 is fanciful.

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Not to mention throttle response and sound improved out of sight. Ive had several warranty issues holden havnt said a word about my exhaust or otr. Don't use orssom as they aren't ADR approved so there TECHNICALLY illegal so holden COULD give you grief by using defective mods. The reason being is the filter is partly exposed where as the vcm otr isn't. Also DON'T mafless tune! Completely pointless unless your doing big mods. The VE maf flows good even good enough for some cams like the VCM E5 for example. also holden won't know its tuned. And no there computer can't tell a car is tuned. Unless its mafless. I'm confident everything I've said is correct. Feel free to correct me if you have factual points to make. Not fantasy stuff 620nm cough cough. :)

shterk

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not to mention throttle response and sound improved out of sight. Ive had several warranty issues holden havnt said a word about my exhaust or otr. Don't use orssom as they aren't ADR approved so there TECHNICALLY illegal so holden COULD give you grief by using defective mods. The reason being is the filter is partly exposed where as the vcm otr isn't. Also DON'T mafless tune! Completely pointless unless your doing big mods. The VE maf flows good even good enough for some cams like the VCM E5 for example. also holden won't know its tuned. And no there computer can't tell a car is tuned. Unless its mafless. I'm confident everything I've said is correct. Feel free to correct me if you have factual points to make. Not fantasy stuff 620nm cough cough. :)

I've heard the same thing actually, my only concern about going otr is having to tilt the radiator back but I must say I like the look if the vcm otr!
Definitely won't be going maffless, heck I won't even cam it to be honest just want it to breathe easier and run smoother :)

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I've heard the same thing actually, my only concern about going otr is having to tilt the radiator back but I must say I like the look if the vcm otr!
Definitely won't be going maffless, heck I won't even cam it to be honest just want it to breathe easier and run smoother :)

I haven't touched my engine. Not at all. I still have my maf in place I've even had holden read fault codes for my headlights. Everything works fine. I've been told the VE responds better to MAF tunes anyway. As for tilting the radiator back I was worried too. It sounds like a big thing but it really isn't! It barely moves it's like 50 mil or something you can't even tell its tilted. The most important things IMO to open it up are high flow cats and OTR especially otr. exhaust not as critical in regards to size style etc.. High flow cats don't just create power they allow the gas to get out quicker and not build which intern improves throttle response and power. I suggest you go look at a decent 4-1 design header with high flow cat and compare to type factory set up. The factory cat is mainly an issue not only because of it being 400-500 cells per inch but the actual angle it sits on. That's the main issue. If you actually look inside one you will know what I mean. And at the end of the day angles in an exhaust system are a no no. You want smooth and as straight as possible. By the way high flow cats can be done without a tune you just need a o2 sensor adaptor most exhaust places should have them. To be honest the difference between 4-1 and tri y headers I couldn't tell you I've driven both not a great deal but you can tell what has factory cats and what doesent quite easily IMO. But start with an otr and exhaust and see how it feels for you :) if you want more don't bother with hsv get a decent set of headers. If your happy keep the stock set up. That's what most guys do. I have a couple of mates some happy with cat back some go the whole way it just depends what you expect.