Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk calais 333 pack

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
This is the cam that is in the engine I have purchased.

Crane Stage 4 Hyd. Camshaft, 236 duration and .520 lift. Hyd Lifters.

I am concerned that it may not be the best for street use. Stage 4 seems somewhat aggressive and lumpy.

Is there a better choice? I would rather change it over before it goes in the car.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
well tbh mate. my crane 286 is 234 duration and only 495 lift and its not very "well mannered" also are you putting on rollers? if so the YT's bump up that 520 to 536.25 by adding the extra x0.05 lift. nearly 540 lift is getting into larger OD spring territory.

your other post says you have 1.5 rocker? but stock are 1.6. yella terra are 1.65 so has the previous owner stepped down the ratio for some reason? or just a typo.

personally i say GO FOR IT. its still hydralic so itll be ok, and 536 isnt all that bad. do you know what the lobe seperation, IVO IVC etc are? . you just gotta make sure you get springs to suit. i learned the hard way that LT1's are not that great. they say "good for 550 lift" which is horse ****. ive had 3 break so far.

its not gonna be all that friendly on fuel tho :thumbsup:

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
Thanks for the advise. I will see how it goes.

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
View attachment 120147

Okay My diff is done and collect the engine next weekend. Picked up a set of superlow kings, munroe shocks and nolathane adjustable panahrd. I will order all the new nolathane bushes next week and then the skinned knuckles and much swearing begins. I want to rwc and change the rego over before I do the egine swap. It is all happening but I haven't put a spanner on it hardly.

Last edited:

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
Okay Placed order for all the bushes and reco steering rack. When everything arrives the fun begins. I might make a start this Sunday.

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
The Simmons came with 225/50R16 brand new Triangle brand sport tyres. So no I have not given it any further consideration. I am just busting my balls trying to get it together. I pick up the engine this Friday. The Brocky that it came out of was running the same gearbox and diff combo. So I will bounce a lot of questions of the owner. I know he was running 18inch wheels but I want to keep it oringinal looking. Brakes wil be VT.

I am even considering putting the original covers intake manifold carby and air cleaner on it for an original look.

Last edited:

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
I am even considering putting the original covers intake manifold carby and air cleaner on it for an original look.

YES!!!! lol. sadly the covers prolly wont work with roller rockers. you can use 2 cork gaskets on each side but its a bit dodgie. i had to bite the bullet and get chrome rockers for that reason :( much prefer stockies.

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
Ok. That is good info. As I say I have had no expirience with 8 bangers so a steep learning curve for me.