Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK-VZ Stereo wiring colours.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
]3.(allanssv6) You cant connect RCA cables straight to the stock headunit, it dosent have the outputs, you'll need whats known as a line out converter (LOC). This has to be connected to your standard speaker wires and converts these into RCA outputs. Its ok just to "tap" into the wires so the speakers are still connected. If you wanna runa subwoofer, i would tap into the rear speaker wires where they run into the doors just behind where the seatbelt is in the b pillar. Be sure to solder and tap each connection.
The LOCs are offered by a number of companies, but i havent had much trouble with these.....)

is it possible to run RCA cables from the stock head unit in my vz. i wanna connect and amp and sub, mayb a couple of both but regardless i want to keep the original factory head unit. cheers;)

Or you could talk to Phreddy about his proper low-level output kits, rather than use a LOC which will sacrifice sound quality.

shano8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS A4
hey there, if this has been asked and answered, i apologise, i have done a search with no results. i have a vy ss, it has a jvc kd-g405 unit in it, ive rewired the unit as it was all backwards, but im not sure what colour the wire is for the steering controls. could anyone be able to tell me the colour, and also, where,(if any) would i wire it to, on the head unit? any help would be greatly appreciated,

shano

Nervegas

Reaction score
Members Ride
'11 ve ss thunder ute
After scratching my left nut and deciding to move onto the right one, i jumped on here to find out which color wires where for my speakers. Thanks for the post and saving my right nut :D
also having probs with the head unit resetting its settings everytime i turn off. its a VS and i've for orange for constant power and yellow on acc. will have to look at it tommorow

jimmyrabbiton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
VL Calais eurovox amp

Just taken this thing out of my VL and want to put into dads car, all these wires and all these colours can someone advise what does what, here's want comes out the plug from the AMP.

Black with a blue stripe
Orange with a blue stripe
Yellow with a red stripe
Yellow with a white stripe
Green with a white stripe
Green with a tan stripe
Blue with a tan stripe
Blue with a black stripe
yellow with a light blue stripe
Brown with a black stripe

Mike S

Car Audio Pro
Reaction score
When you say these wires come from the amp do you mean from the back of the radio? Is it a genuine VL radio ?, it dosn't sound familliar, but if it is, it will probably be a common ground unit. Thats where there are only 6 speaker wires instead of 8. I would have a record of that somewhere if it is a genuine radio. See if you can find a model number on it.

terry1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Berlina Commodore
hey, i recently installed my headunit into my car... and then the radio antena stopped working any suggestions or anything ive re-wired the head unit and everything is correct but it still wont go up. i have a Vr berlina 1994 elec antanna
cheers
-Terry

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
did the old radio that was in there work??you need a yellow accessories and 12V+ constant to run a new CD player. The acc SHOULD be there, especially if the old radio works. The 12V you have to run yourself from the battery.

If you have no yellow acc wire, you can either just run it to teh same 12V+ constant wire or you'll have to find an accessories wire and splice into that. If it goes to 12V constant, you will have to turn the HU off when you get out of the car, as it wont turn off with the car

this is prolly a really old thread now, but meh.

i have just stripped my dash down to nothing and can find NO wires that are acc pwr.

i have tested every wire connected to the ignition and there is no acc power and no missing plugs. none of my fuses run with acc. none of the relays, no lights, nothing.

wtf. where the hell is this illusive yellow wire? the ignition has no acc output.

short of installing a spring pole switch on the ignition i am out of ideas. i hate radios that need the car in the 'on' position to run, especially when i have two massive thermo fans that run constant with ignition pwr and my G/F drives the car and cant be trusted to switch the radio off after she parks it so constant is out of the question.

help!!

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Mate, im pretty sure with the VKs you have to turn the ignition back towards you (the opposite direction you would normally turn it to start the car) to get accessories ;)

LeViaTHaN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S-Pack
Hey guys, we quite often get asked in here for colours and what wire does what. So, to help out. I have created this sticky topic. It's taken me awhile to compile this list but if you see any mistakes please let me know and I will amend them.

VN - VZ

Speakers
Front Left (+) - Tan
Front Left (-) - Grey
Front Right (+) - Light/Green
Front Right (-) - Dark/Green
Rear Left (+) - Brown/Black
Rear Left (-) - Yellow/Blue <---Yellow/Green on VYII
Rear Right (+) - Blue/Orange
Rear Right (-) - Blue/Black

Just disconnected the back door speakers, and put some Response Kevlar coax 6x9's in. http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CS2378&keywords=kevlar&form=KEYWORD

Drops straight in, no problem, and sounds great.

lethalduck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 S Ute
VN - VZ

Accesories - Yellow
Constant - Orange/White
Illumination - Brown/White
Earth - Black/White
12V OUTPUT - Yellow/Red
Radio Mute - Yellow/Black (VT onwards)
Antenna up - White (VR onwards)
Antenna down - Blue (VR onwards)
Illumination OUTPUT - Grey (VT onwards)

Speakers
Front Left (+) - Tan
Front Left (-) - Grey
Front Right (+) - Light/Green
Front Right (-) - Dark/Green
Rear Left (-) - Yellow/Blue

I have a VY ute with the factory blaupunkt.
Currently only has the door speakers.
I would like to add a couple of sub woofers.
and later maybe a couple of parcel shelf speakers (behind the head).
Would I be correct in the assumption that
I could safely use the 12V OUTPUT - Yellow/Red to power the power amp for the sub woofers and for the additional parcel shelf speakers (if I chose to add a power amp for them also)?

Would I use the:
Rear Left (-) - Yellow/Blue
for the signal to the sub woofer amp, and the parcel shelf speakers (with or without power amp)?