Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK-VZ Stereo wiring colours.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
If you mean to use the 12v output as a remote turn-on lead then no. I think that wire is a constant power source, and dosent turn on with the key etc. Your better off to use the ACC wire (yellow) by tapping into it and running a small power cable to the REM input.

You will need to run a dedicated power lead direct from the battery (if you didnt know).

Im not sure whether the utes have the rear speakers activated or not, i know the VEs need to have them activated (20 sec. job) but not sure about the VYs.
If they are activated then you can use them to power additional rear speakers and as an input for the amp.

Personally, i wouldnt bother adding another set of speakers to a ute, i would focus more on the door speakers......adding a set of decent splits and powering them off an amp with around 100wrms will satisfy most people ;)

lethalduck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 S Ute
If you mean to use the 12v output as a remote turn-on lead then no. I think that wire is a constant power source, and dosent turn on with the key etc. Your better off to use the ACC wire (yellow) by tapping into it and running a small power cable to the REM input.

You will need to run a dedicated power lead direct from the battery (if you didnt know).

Im not sure whether the utes have the rear speakers activated or not, i know the VEs need to have them activated (20 sec. job) but not sure about the VYs.
If they are activated then you can use them to power additional rear speakers and as an input for the amp.

Personally, i wouldnt bother adding another set of speakers to a ute, i would focus more on the door speakers......adding a set of decent splits and powering them off an amp with around 100wrms will satisfy most people ;)

I assume the REM input is on the additional power amp for turning on/off?

Ok, so the amp needs power straight from battery to drive it?

I guess I could use a single power amp to drive the sub woofers and the door speakers, but would be better to have an amp for both door speakers and sub woofers (2 amps)?

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah the REM is a terminal on aftermarket amps, for turning it on and off with the stereo, and yes you will need to run a power cable directly from the battery, fused within 30cm of the terminal for safety.

To power a subwoofer and 2 speakers you'll need a 4ch amplifier, you power the 2 speakers from the first two channels, then "bridge" the other two channels to power the sub. Generally this config. is ideal when the user only wants / has room for the one amplifier. Using a dedicated subwoofer amp along with a 2ch. speaker amp is the best option, but not only is it dearer you have the problem of finding mounting locations for two amps. Not to mention the extra wiring needed.

lethalduck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 S Ute
Excellent!
Thanks for the advise holdenboy.

lethalduck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 S Ute
I take it there's no crossover available on the VY utes blaupunkt H/U?
What would be the best way to achieve a low pass filter from the H/U to the sub woofer amp?
Should I be posting these sort of questions to another thread?

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Nah your right mate.

There are no crossovers in the stock head-unit, but 90% of aftermarket amplifiers will have a low pass crossover built in, and most are adjustable. Just check when purchasing an amp that it has this feature, but as i said most will, only the real cheap and nasty ones wont ;)

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
VS got 2 wires for Ariel up n down, do u have to hook em both up to the pwr ariel off the headunit or jst the up, when it looses 12v it goes down.?>??

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Im pretty sure you just need to connect the antenna output on the head-unit to the "up" wire in the stock loom, if that dosent work then connect it to the down wire. I know its just the one you need to connect, but forgot which one, lol.

JT Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
hey guys,
I just got a Kenwood head unit for my vz,just wondering with the wires:

Accesories - Yellow
Constant - Orange/White
Illumination - Brown/White
Earth - Black/White
12V OUTPUT - Yellow/Red
Radio Mute - Yellow/Black (VT onwards)
Antenna up - White (VR onwards)
Antenna down - Blue (VR onwards)
Illumination OUTPUT - Grey (VT onwards)

my head unit manual names the head unit wires:

ignition wire
battery wire
ground wire
dimmer control wire
external amp
TEL mute wire
Motor antenna control wire
Power control wire

Would somebody PLEASE be able to tell me which wires go with which?

Cheers, Jared

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
my head unit manual names the head unit wires:

ignition wire - accessory wire
battery wire - constant wire
ground wire - earth wire
dimmer control wire - illumination wire
external amp - remote wire (not in loom, run your own to amp)
TEL mute wire
Motor antenna control wire - not sure
Power control wire - not sure
You'll still need to find out the bottom two wires.