Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK Wagz EFI 5L 5spd

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Small update...

Had a small drama with the fuel pump relay not switching on. But soon got it sorted. The video is the first time it's cranked over since coming out of the VN. Started first go! I'm stoked! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
Danny, pretty awesome mate...quick question mate was it hard to wired up to a non efi car? Cheers Walks

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Nah was pretty easy really. When I'm a bit more sober I'll draw up a wiring diagram aye! :thumbsup:

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Just made a quick diagram. Attached it.

Few things tho. The green and blue wires on the grey VN plug are the water temp sender (green) and oil psi sender (blue) wires. The water temp should be ok (I haven't hooked these 2 up yet), but the EFI 304 uses a different oil sender so not sure if it will work with the VK gauge.

On the VK engine harness connector (the one near the firewall next to the brake booster), the pink and yellow need to be joined coz the pink only has 12v during the 'on' position, and the yellow has 12v during the 'start' position. There's 2 pink wires tho, one thicker then the other. Ya use the thinner one, which matches the rest of the wires.

The ignition source for wire on the white plug I didn't join to the same ignition source as wat switches the EFI relay, only coz the EFI relay ignition source is in the engine bay, and the white plug on the VN loom is under the dash next to the ECU. I just started stabbing all the pink wires (using a test light) in the main VK loom behind the dash until I found one which had 12v during 'on' and 'start', then spliced into it.

On the fuel pump relay, I fused both the 12v source, and the output. Prolly didn't really need to tho.

I chopped out all the plugs in the VN which the loom connected to, and left a few inches of each wire on the plugs (to identify them, and to solder the new wires to). That way I make my loom using those plugs, and the VN loom will plug straight in. I done the same thing with the VK engine harness connector, as the engine harness for the 202 was no longer required, so snipped the plug and wired that into my loom so it would plug straight into the VK loom.

The plugs contain more wires for other things as well, but this diagram is just wat I've used so far to get it running and drivable. I haven't hooked up the wire to switch the thermo fans, or the torque converter lockup, neatral safety switch or even the speed sensor (will do the speed sensor soon tho), plus some other things.

Attachments

• efi304_into_VK_wiring_kb.jpg
    efi304_into_VK_wiring_kb.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 7,786

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
cheers for doing that mate, cross-member, how did you go with? Now, everyone telling me to put a efi v8 in the vk. I Have never done it before. I'm a bit like you, I like to play with my cars too, make them go better, lol, I dont think the warm 253 blue, stg 1 trimatic, just isn't going to cut it. So, was it a hassle to do the engine swap? Sorry for the questions mate, We have been thinking about this for a while now, lol, as I have been reading your projects. Cheers Walks

Attachments

• frt view 2.jpg
    frt view 2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 753

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
No probs mate. It's an easy conversion aye. I made sure I had most of the gear first so I didn't get the motor half in and have to go looking for parts to finish it. It's taken us about a month to do, and that's taking it veeeery easy. We didn't work on it everyday, and the days we did it was only for a few hours max.

The trans crossmember is a CRS universal crossmember (they r about $180 brand new I think). Would be easy to replicate, when we pull the motor and box out next I might make one or 2 for spares for other cars.

I'm glad I went a T5 instead of the auto tho, it's alot nicer (maybe even easier too using the manual) and has more grunt. Nice VK too, should come up alright!

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
G'day again, lol, thanks for that mate. I have nearly replace everything underneath of the beast. So now the 253 going in my vh, My brother has efi 5.0ltr. He's letting me placed the motor and auto in the vk, So we can see what needs to be done...LOL.. RIP202 Is pretty awesome mate. My little boy gives it a thumbs up...Cheers Jason

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
sorry for another post! lol my vk colour going to be alpine white with black around windows. So far i've a vp efi fuel tank thats it...lol..but, more to come....

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Haha thx mate. Tell ur lad he has a good taste in cars! ;)

If ur gonna put an injected 5L into ur VK. The best thing u can do to make it as easy as possible is buy a VN 5L. In addition to that you'll need a VL intermediate shaft, VL tailshaft (rear section, also make sure u have a borg warner diff under the VK) and a CRS trans crossmember. That's about 95% of the gear covered right there!