Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Fuel pump blew up

pirix

Reaction score
Members Ride
Executive VL
Hello, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I searched and couldn't find anything related..

I was driving my VL N/A the other day and heard a loud "bang" sound from the rear so I put the car in park and looked under the back but couldn't see anything.. I continued driving and about 400 metres down the road the engine stopped and all was left was my accessories on (stall?). I tried starting it again and it would crank but not start.. When i got it home from towing, I inspected the external pump and it was all black and sooty/greasy. Other times when I looked at it it was silver in color??

1) does this sound like the pump has died?

2) will it be alright to run just the external pump and forget about replacing the internal one? Obviously it will shorten its life span, but other than that is there any issues (seeings as though it's only N/A)?

Cheers in advance guys, I need this sorted ASAP as I have no car for work now.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Sounds like your pump is dead.
No need to replace the internal one unless that is what caused the external one to blow, so safe bet to replace both.