Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn 304 wont start

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Ive checked alternator wiring and all three major earths to engine and body. All ok there. Just got to take y pipe off to check wiring properly.
Throw th y-pipe in the bin and make a decent equal length centre exhaust section while you are at it.
Biggest power robbing P.O.S on the car is the y-pipe

Calais1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 vn calais 5.0
Throw th y-pipe in the bin and make a decent equal length centre exhaust section while you are at it.
Biggest power robbing P.O.S on the car is the y-pipe
Yer your not wrong there lol the previous owner put headers on it then standard y pipe then full 3 inch with one resonator.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I know you changed the ecu but have you also tried a different memcal? Maybe the memcal has corrupted somehow.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Assuming an Auto, maybe park/neutral switch.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
You're getting a spark and its correctly timed (both valves closed when you installed the distributor on TDC). Time to look for the less obvious- as I recall you need oil pressure before an interlock will allow the engine to start. Does the oil pressure light go out when you start cranking?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You're getting a spark and its correctly timed (both valves closed when you installed the distributor on TDC). Time to look for the less obvious- as I recall you need oil pressure before an interlock will allow the engine to start. Does the oil pressure light go out when you start cranking?
Not quite. The ecu controls the fuel pump. The oil pressure switch is only a backup on these.

Calais1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 vn calais 5.0
Hey guys just st to let you know i found the issue, it broke the locater dowl on the cam am threw the cam timing out.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Thanks for letting us know the cause. That would have been far from the first thing I'd look for.