Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 VN AERO REBUILD (304 stroked to 350ci flat top pistons std 4" bore)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
Sucks to hear about been sick.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Back into the car this morning
  • tidied up the GMH Build tags, came up good
  • used the new rivets and attached to firewall,
  • plenium all set to go in, but forgot to order the clips, and bonnet lacing for plenum..ordered today
  • Aircondition accumilator cleaned up
  • new O-rings on the aircondition pipes to accumilator and installed
  • Had a job finding a pair of radiator Bracket, however finally after a month wrecker in Adelaide came through as mine were 70% good

Attachments

• 39 GM tag #1 back on car.jpg
    39 GM tag #1 back on car.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 40 GM tag #2 back on car.jpg
    40 GM tag #2 back on car.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 41 .jpg
    41 .jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Phoned HDT today, build pates are in mail tomorrow...cool, been a while since the old girl had her ID plates on
asked about the rear boot spoiler although I had picked up earlier a complete non genuine HDT kit, just in case it was needed.
Specifically about the brake light on boot spolier, which seems to be some variation in which one your purchasing
HDT advised they had only one rear boot spoiler light in stock, so thanks very much grabbed that as seems a little more difficult to get

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Phoned HDT today, build pates are in mail tomorrow...cool, been a while since the old girl had her ID plates on
asked about the rear boot spoiler although I had picked up earlier a complete non genuine HDT kit, just in case it was needed.
Specifically about the brake light on boot spolier, which seems to be some variation in which one your purchasing
HDT advised they had only one rear boot spoiler light in stock, so thanks very much grabbed that as seems a little more difficult to get
What are you power goals for this project?

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
not sure, things evolved from standard build to stroked 350ci engine build, forged pistons will sit at 10.3:1, H-beam rods:, HR 0.597" lift, with 107 lobe separation, VN #0019 heads, and valve gear to support Hyd roller, block work and oil galleries done, 8 litre sump, oil pan vacuum pump, 3000 stall convertor, transmission still thinking, T700, however would like to throw a 6 speed 6L80 into it, 3.9 gears on Limited slip. I have a twin forward 70mm throttle body manifold there and have few sets of different size bosch injectors
Still thinking about what to do with ecu
what ever comes up, I'm okay with that, as long as there is enough on tap to get out of its way when needed, I plan on driving it, as its been parked for too many years, however for now we still sometime off

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Lex fitted a 6L80e to his VT or VX? It would be a worthwhile upgrade but you may need a new converter, as they work slightly to the old TH trans.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Lex fitted a 6L80e to his VT or VX? It would be a worthwhile upgrade but you may need a new converter, as they work slightly to the old TH trans.
I fitted a 6L50 to a v6 ecotec & it went into a vt wagon.

If the op standard v8 tranny would bolt up to 5.7 litre v8? Then 6L80 would bolt up to the 5 litre, using a 6L80 torque converter.

Edit. I remember 7 or 8 years ago, when l first came across 6L80 being put into other vehicles. Someody from Lara Victoria installed the 6L80 into a vs. I'm assuming it was behind the 5 litre engine.
Just did a quick search, yes its doable.

Last edited:

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Yes decision is either rebuild, upgrade the 4L60 existing transmission or go with 6L80E out of VF/6.0-6.2 litre holden and take the torque convertor etc
It will bolt up to engine as uses same Turbo bolt pattern on block, but more costly and then all trimmings to fit it out Vs rebuilding the 4L60 to stand up to a little more punishment
I do like the paddle shifting on the VF/6L80E transmission
Have the driveshaft, convertor etc for 4L60 all done

Not too sure how much more bulker the 6L80- trans is
However still a little more time until we need to make decision

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
VE VF 6speed auto is a big box i believe the tunnel has to be manipulated for it to all fit properly in earlier models