Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Alpine stereo - serious upgrade - I need feedback please!!

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
covert77 said:
i don't mean that, it's just that an amp rated to equal power as the sub can overheat and therefore shutdown as a precaution if you run it at high levels for long periods of time.
(by the way, i did screw up my first type r sub, but because i didn't keep the levels down to run it in over the first month)
what other way is there around this overheating problem? coz i would be interested as it pisses me off when it does happen.
i heard another suggestion was to install a fan in my boot?azzfox?
could put a couple of 12v cooling fans (ones in computers) around the amp or build an enclosure for the amp with fan/s on the side/s
eg. l l:enclosure, [ ]:amp, #:fan/s

l-#-l
l [ ] l
l [ ] l
l-#-l

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
Amplifiers come in classes such as A/B and D classes as some examples. If heat is a problem, trying using a monoblock amplifier which is D class. D class amplifiers are not only more efficient but also produce alot less heat. If you don't want to change amps then yeah, use a couple of computer fans in the boot somewhere. To be really poverty, pull them out of old power pc power supplies that are broken. If you don't have any, ask around your friends/school/uni for some.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
bottom line is an amp shouldn't over heat if being run at its rated power. take it back to alpine, and if theres nothing wrong with the amp then that means the amp is clipping and you need to turn down the gain.

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
garfa said:
bottom line is an amp shouldn't over heat if being run at its rated power. take it back to alpine, and if theres nothing wrong with the amp then that means the amp is clipping and you need to turn down the gain.

true that. Providing it has adequate normal ventilation as per whatever the manual says and you have your gains and everything set appropriately you shouldn't have overheating problems with a amplifier in a proper working order.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
if there is inadequate ventilation then its only the user fault and a new amp might not help the situation.

covert77

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn berlina
thanks guys. i only seem to have the trouble when i have lots of people in the car - i think the fact that it faces out of the back seat means that i need the seat down otherwise there is no air for the sub to displace. haven;t had any problems recently, but i will keep all of those tips in mind.

you need to run a sub in because the materials can be damaged if you blast it from the get-go. i unfortunately did this and the sub ended up with a popping sound which fuks up the quality of sound. i was lucky enough to have alpine replace my sub free of charge, but i went easy on it this time, and now it works better than ever. i also noticed that after about 1-2 months, the sub actually gets louder because the components are more flexible and can therefore displace more when it moves.
basically, i kept my stereo below volume 21 (max 35) for the first month. don't have any doubts about alpine - i still reckon they are one of the best car stereos on the market.

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
yer with any new sund gear u MUST run it in you cant go balls to the wall once its in i usually run the speakers in for a month to 2 months, and you will know when they are ready quallity is up and performance goes up and you dnt need it as loud to get the same quallity ur lucky the replaced it.

enjoy the set up

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
More wives tales... Speakers don't need to be run in unless they've been sitting for years. A new speaker does not NEED to be run in.

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
but it is better to run it in so you do not dammage the speaker just as a saftey percaution would u realy want to pay $$$$$ for good speakers then thump them hard n fuk em up ??????

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Playing them hard doesn't damage them unless they are stiff and old from years of not being used. A sub that has been made within a year or so won't go so stiff that it'll be damaged by playing within it's mechanical limits.

I've paid good money for speakers/subs and run them as I please with no adverse effects :)