Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Calais 5L

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
man you guys have it tough with defects.

nothing really looks defectable on your car. compared to a whole bunch ive seen in sydney that get away with it all the time.

on another note. tough looking car. must have been one of the best vn calais out to have sunroof and leather and a 5 litre. just missing the manual. but youve sorted that out anyway.

HAZZA-VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
BLACK VY SS :)
yeh hes got it good a real nice car that is, Pitty about the ding in the bloody boot tom lol :p

Renno

Home Of The Shiny Tank
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
Nice work Renno. So the conversion is going in when you take it to regency?

Cheers Nick. I still have to get the tailshaft off of the bloke. However The box will be freshened up and a new clutch and rip shifter put it!....oh and ill paint it lol. Also the tailshaft will be rebalenced and also cleaned and painted before it all goes in before Regency.

man you guys have it tough with defects.

nothing really looks defectable on your car. compared to a whole bunch ive seen in sydney that get away with it all the time.

on another note. tough looking car. must have been one of the best vn calais out to have sunroof and leather and a 5 litre. just missing the manual. but youve sorted that out anyway.

Yeah Adelaide sucks with defects and ADR regulations. However in saying that, I gave the cops a good reason to defect me (Did a skid on a hoon cruise) and considering they looked over the entire car and had to resort to a tiny bit of rust in the battery tray and rear window, im VERY happy with the legality of the car.

And cheers for the kind words on the car. Its comments like that, that keep me motivated! I was gonna keep it auto actually, but after taking my mates VN Calais 5L Manual for a spin, I just had to convert mine!:idea3:

yeh hes got it good a real nice car that is, Pitty about the ding in the bloody boot tom lol :p

lol get over that dent Aaron!

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
i just read through this whole build up and i can't get over how nice your car is mate.
you seem very commited to making this a good clean machine.
i look forward to the end result, if it ever does find an end....

HAZZA-VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
lol get over that dent Aaron!

I will one day lol its kewl we both have almost identical cars :) pretty rare two the single colour Calais :)

Aaronsbt1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 vn executive 5L 5speed
nice vn 5L calais have a listern a full 3inch system mate

i got a 3inch system made for my vn, the guy that did it builds drag cars so its been hand made from the heads to the tip. the headers and muffler were hand built and is a full 3inch mandrel bent system from the headers to the tip. sounds mad have a look YouTube - Aaron's 1990 vn v8 bt1

Renno

Home Of The Shiny Tank
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
i just read through this whole build up and i can't get over how nice your car is mate.
you seem very commited to making this a good clean machine.
i look forward to the end result, if it ever does find an end....

Good thing you read this thread and not the one I have on HCC....that ones on its 53rd page :rofl:

But yeah cheers mate, Im trying to build a really clean VN Calais that will stand out due to the attention to detail.

Im hoping there is a end result.....but knowing how I do things, I dont think it will be for a while lol!

I will one day lol its kewl we both have almost identical cars :) pretty rare two the single colour Calais :)

Im pretty sure mine was painted single tone sometine after it left the factory, as me and Simon found some silver paint under the white on the rear bar....but I dunno. Ill have to run the paint codes off of the build sheet to find out for sure. But atm im thinking of painting it two tone like a Calais should be!

HAZZA-VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Im pretty sure mine was painted single tone sometine after it left the factory, as me and Simon found some silver paint under the white on the rear bar....but I dunno. Ill have to run the paint codes off of the build sheet to find out for sure. But atm im thinking of painting it two tone like a Calais should be!

Yeh that would be cool to do to mine eventually it needs paint lol once i got some coin saved and engines going good everythings sweet ill look at getting it done, Can get a full respray for around $1200 :) ish

Renno

Home Of The Shiny Tank
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
Chris came past today and gave me a few goodies that he had lying around for me....

VNCalaisV8235.jpg

Im more than likely going to get a new floorplate, but ill have to see if motor traders still have any left.

VNCalaisV8236.jpg

VNCalaisV8237.jpg

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Get the shifter plate chromed Renno, lol.