Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn s1 being a #### to get into gear when it's warm

Pt112

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 Executive 5 speed
Willl go into any gear fine when cold, eg I leave home drive 20 mins tO work and as soon as I stop the car it's near impossible to get any gear , I've been told it could be the clutch plate? anyone got any idea what it could be? Cheers

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
i take it were talking about a manual trans here?

Pt112

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 Executive 5 speed
And does anyone knOw if vn s1 executive 5 speed came out with disc brakes on the rear? Coz mines got em,could be a group A possibly?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
all vns had disc brake rear end...

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
sounds more like the pressure plate is failing (part of the clutch assembly), when stopped and you try to select reverse when it's playing up does it grind?

how's the oil level? when was it last changed?

Pt112

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 Executive 5 speed
Yea it grind hard into reverse, I dunno what the oil levels like I'm gettin it changed this week hopefully tommorow even, cheers mate

Alloytec

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 VT SS
So is it just hard to engage any gear when hot or is actually hard to move thru the H pattern ?

If its just the engagement trans oil condition could give ya a similar problem but its usually the other way around.... hard to shift when cold.. But low trans oil can give this symptom as the synchro rings wont spin fast enough due to lack of lubrication..

So i would go about it in this order so you dont jump to conclusions,
Check that your gearbox is actually still bolted to the bellhousing and bellhousing bolted to the engine haha..
Check g/b oil level with car level and removing the fill plug on the side oil should be up to this level (usually a bit will come out when ya take the plug out..)
Check oil condtion when ya check the level.. if its been filled with 80w 90 or so it should be coloured like honey, if its been filled with ATF it should be a nice clean red...
What ya dont want to see is metallic colour through it.. So if fluids bad change it and see how it goes, Or top up as necessary if low
If there is no difference you can check your clutch cable adjustment.. But given that its only when its at operating temperature the problem exists I would doubt its your clutch hey more likely to be wear on the synchro rings inside the box which means rebuild :) fyi to get a t5 box rebuilt your looking at least around $600-$700 but if ya need any new parts which you probably will do it could be upwards close to $900-$1,000