Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp alternator light comes on intermitently

azz

azz
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp wagon
hi all, on my vp wagon the alternator light is coming on for about ten seconds every now and then, ie not just after starting and not just after using lights etc. it is charging properly the battery is basicly new and it is not drawing current back through system at rest, i dont get it. thanks:bang:

WK Woody

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 WK Caprice + VK berlina
Have you checked all the obvious things like the brushes on the alternator and all the connections?

azz

azz
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp wagon
havent checked brushes but connections all look good earth is good and rubber boot around the power cable to the alternater isnt touching anything

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It's most likely the brushes, the plate at the back of the alternator comes off and you buy a new one (about 60bucks?) the alternator itself lasts about 3 sets

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Yeah, what they said. Get another alternator.

I had the same issue, got myself a $20 alternator from the wreckers, and it never happened again.

WK Woody

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 WK Caprice + VK berlina
I had a datsun 120Y (don't laugh) and I just bought the brushes on their own instead of the whole cartridge and soldered them in myself. Cost me $6.50

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Hey my VN does the same thing, Mine isn't the altenator though. My Voltage regulator needs to be replaced. It was damaged/moved when the themostat was replaced. Hope this helps.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Happened to me to. It was most likely the brushes worn out, i just went and got an exchange alternator and wacked it it to save time and effort. Was the easiest, but probably the most expensive way out of it. Ring around for a few prices though, i found they varied alot between a few stores

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
mine did the same ..was the regulator . however i replaced to whole alternator with one i had on my wreck as it was like new (alternator and regulator....not bad for a whole 150 bucks i spend on a complete vn :p)

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
It could also be a bad connection onto the battery or even a bad battery. How do you know it is charging properly? Have you used a multimeter to check the voltages? As guys above have said, most likely the alternator but not always.