Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP gearbox speedo sensor?

kid_720datto

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Hilux V6
Hey guys, a mate has asked me to get a part for his berlina (unsure of year) as he lives near no parts
Shops himself. Any way he has told me it's a gearbox speedo sensor or sender. He says it has to be that cause he replaced the speedo gauge and it's stil not working. I rang supercheap and they told me the gearbox doesn't have any sensors that they could find, the only speedo sensor is on the engine.

Should I try a wrecker to see if they have a clue? Wat else could be stopping the speedo. I thought it ran off the back wheels

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
The sensor will be there, a little black cylinder that screws onto the back of the trans. with one white connector.

Not the sensor? Wiring between the ECM, the sensor and the gauge.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
its at the back of the transmission and will have a plug hanging off it... where the drive shaft meets the extension housing seal (that area)...

edit: yeah what he said...

defecat0r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series 2, v6 5-speed, LPG
Hey i was under the car a weekend or two ago and happened to take a photo of mine. It's leaking oil, i think there must be an o-ring or something that's stuffed on it. So if u can see through the muck and grot and grease and piss that's it :p
it's on the drivers side a far way back from the engine. Mine's a manual, dunn if that makes a difference :)
DSC_0404.jpg

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
You will find a spedo sensor at the wreckers and about 20-30 bucks I think mine was a few months ago.. The auto 1 is on the left side and a little oil will come out but not much. They do have a oil seal a o ring., has 1 bolt that holds it in

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Hey i was under the car a weekend or two ago and happened to take a photo of mine. It's leaking oil, i think there must be an o-ring or something that's stuffed on it. So if u can see through the muck and grot and grease and piss that's it :p
it's on the drivers side a far way back from the engine. Mine's a manual, dunn if that makes a difference :)
View attachment 123404

Between the plate and the trans. extension housing is an 'O' ring (purple, if that makes a difference :) ). That gets real brittle with age and heat and no longer seals.

It's an easy fix, just wash the oil and dirt off (to make the job pleasant and avoid getting crap in the trans.) and undo the sensor and the 10mm head bolt that holds the retaining plate. DIg the old 'O' ring out with a pick or scribe, clean the parts and fit the new 'O' ring. A bit of trans. oil on the ring helps it slide in.

If that 'O' ring isn't leaking, there is a seal in the end of the sensor housing - VS19145, the only Holden part # I know :).

VQ-Assault

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VQII Statesman
the o ring is $20 from holden, the speed transducer is around $400 new from holden

defecat0r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series 2, v6 5-speed, LPG
oh hey thanks boys, good info, i'll check it out