Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR 4l60e line pressure adjustment

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
ahimming it correctly is important or you may end up with 2nd gear but no 4th gear if you dont shim the 4th gear servo
hmmmm i was wondering about shimming. Glad the local mech didn't end up being able to fit mine now. I'm not sure he would have shimmed it correctly. Probably why my trans tech said Vette servo is something normally done as an upgrade when doing a rebuild.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
It's a good upgrade on a stock box .I fixed a professionally built 4l60e a while ago in a Hotrodth tci trans controller they fitted the servo minus a shim washer and it would request the shift to 4th but wouldn't engage lol luckily hadn't smoked the band

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The corvette servo can be done in place of you take it out in sections or if you pull the 2 trans mount bolts and push the end of the box over a little ahimming it correctly is important or you may end up with 2nd gear but no 4th gear if you dont shim the 4th gear servo

How do you figure out how much shimming it needs? Surely shims vary in thickness and it wouldn't be a matter of just swapping the old shims to the new servo?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
How do you figure out how much shimming it needs? Surely shims vary in thickness and it wouldn't be a matter of just swapping the old shims to the new servo?
Seen it done using an old cover with the top cut out - then push on the rod to see how much freeplay there is essentially. Proper shift kits will come with the shims too.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Seen it done using an old cover with the top cut out - then push on the rod to see how much freeplay there is essentially. Proper shift kits will come with the shims too.
Yeah I was thinking it needed some skill to set the servo properly. Next service i might ask about it again but he might say the same thing best left until it needs a rebuild. I don't know that its a huge upgrade swapping the servo and might not be worth the time unless the trans is out. Already have the reamed valve body, and boost valve upgrade. Hmmm have to wait and see what the trans tech says next year when its due.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
You put the cover on with no oring and lever it in and see how much clearance there is to the snap ring holding the cover on