Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR running rough when warmed up

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
We have a U Pull It type wrecker in the north and he is really cheap. I bought a wagon tail shaft for $25. Only thing is I think he has a min spend because if you grab a couple of small bits he will charge 20 bucks, but chuck them in for free if you spend 30 or 40.

PHMaximus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR BT1 V6
Sweet.... we moved house and I lost interest.... but im got the bug again...

well rather than throwing money at it and praying that it works (to manny examples on this very forum that i don't wanna be that guy) ive invested in some diagnostic tools, ive ordered a new compression test kit, fuel pressure test kit and a fast reacting LED test light

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Why not just take it to a mechanic if you don't wanna be that guy?

Cars cost money, and parts don't last forever. Changing things that may not be due yet isn't a bad thing, impromptu preventative maintenance.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
ive invested in some diagnostic tools, ive ordered a new compression test kit, fuel pressure test kit and a fast reacting LED test light
interesting choice of test equipment. I have a compression tester i haven't used for 10 years. Test light is fine but cost me under 10 bucks. In 30 years of working on cars i have never needed a fuel presure test kit, fuel pump is something I replace anyway on any car i get thats done over 150k. Only because i try to prevent breakdowns from failure of common probs across most cars.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Mine was coils even though they test ok with multi-meter,only did it hot & with lead off white spark vs blue with others.

Only giveaway was a minor arcing mark on one terminal & non genuine brand.

New delphi coils were $80-$90.The zorst brand $60 if don't mind waiting for them in mail.

PHMaximus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR BT1 V6
Why not just take it to a mechanic if you don't wanna be that guy?

Cars cost money, and parts don't last forever. Changing things that may not be due yet isn't a bad thing, impromptu preventative maintenance.

funny you mention that... I actually am a qualified mechanic.... but i haven't touched cars in 10 or so years and my tools are long gone...

but yeah, that comment about parts is just obvious... i think most people know that nowadays lol

but

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
funny you mention that... I actually am a qualified mechanic.... but i haven't touched cars in 10 or so years and my tools are long gone...

but yeah, that comment about parts is just obvious... i think most people know that nowadays lol

but

You sold your tools??? :confused::confused::confused::confused: Took me too long to accrue mine, I'm never selling them.

PHMaximus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR BT1 V6
not sold..... kids mate..... they destroy anything and ove the years things go walkabout

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

PHMaximus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR BT1 V6
interesting choice of test equipment. I have a compression tester i haven't used for 10 years. Test light is fine but cost me under 10 bucks. In 30 years of working on cars i have never needed a fuel presure test kit, fuel pump is something I replace anyway on any car i get thats done over 150k. Only because i try to prevent breakdowns from failure of common probs across most cars.

Same, I haven't touched one in years... most cars these days have builtin oscilloscopes and can do things like relative compression tests, load on fuel pumps, ect ect.... so u only really need tools like this on old cars.

im surprised you have never used a fuel pressure gauge???? are u working in the industry because that might explain why???
im not trying to be rude or anything, but if ur NOT working as a mechanic ur generally not going to use the tools??

but if your not in the industry u wouldn't know. for warranty claims u need to actually prove how you diagnosed it, u cant just say we replaced ya fuel pump because some guy on a forum told me, there needs to be proof, and thats how i learnt.... diagnose right and "fix it first time"

and test light... is that a normal one or one that can pulse for testing circuits? most people dont even know there is a difference? but those cheap ones are not fast enough for testing things like CAS pulses