Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Senator with LSx454

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
congrats on getting it running mate. you'll be loving cruising around in this after all the hard work!

ive got a question for you about the electric water pump. how is it going? im having troubles with my mechanical pump and overheating. just thought id ask you before going to buy one. cheers :)

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
congrats on getting it running mate. you'll be loving cruising around in this after all the hard work!

ive got a question for you about the electric water pump. how is it going? im having troubles with my mechanical pump and overheating. just thought id ask you before going to buy one. cheers :)
Hi mate, thanks, well I guess it's too early to tell with the pump, although I have to say just fitting it, it's an awesome bit of kit, beautifully made. Not cheap of course, I guess stuff like that never is. I just liked the fact the pump is totally independent of engine speed, so if your idling, and the engine needs it to flow fully it just does, with and engine driven pump your at the mercy of what speed the engines doing. But I haven't put enough miles on it yet to give you a definitive answer, but they have been around a long time in the states. And it doesn't hurt to give you a "free" extra 5-10 kW.

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
Thanks for the reply man. Its hard to gauge if what works in the states will always work for us over here. Ive done about 450kms in mine and it overheats when idling. So yeah I think the extra flow at idle should help. As funny as it might sound extra power is something I dont think im looking for haha. Hope to see your car one day :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Overheating at idle can be many things so don't just look at the water pump. Seeing as the standard pump is more than sufficient in many performance builds I'd be looking at things like your radiator/thermo fan set up as well as air flow management (Looking at your ride thread - VS ute, the LS is a lot of engine in a fairly confined engine bay so thermal management like getting headers coated works well).

Other things to consider is the thermostat temp as well as when the thermofans turn on/off and even tuning can effect over heating at idle (and cruise).

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
I have really tried everything else to be honest. Without highjacking the thread. Its a 408 iron block running a gt42 up the front. The radiator is a aussie desert coolers street and strip with 3 thermo fans 2 on the back and one on the front. Has a big oil cooler the exhaust has all been ceramic coated in black including dump pipe. Ive set the thermo fans to turn on at 75 degrees and they still cant keep it cool ive tried thermostat in or out and it was better without it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Aussie desert coolers don't have the best reputation.

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
Yea I agree with that Cava, that's why I went PWR, but that's a bit of an opinion thing, BUT, power makes heat, pure and simple. If you making power you are going to put more load on the overall cooling system. What I have done, and I did a fair bit of looking into this, (of course it's not proven) is an engine oil cooling system can take an enormous load of the regular water cooling system. The oil is circulating everywhere throughout the engine, if you fit an oil cooling radiator, with mine it's an easy fit up under the passenger side front guard at the front, every bit of cooling it's giving is cooling the water radiator doesn't have to do. Just a thought.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Agree with the above, but, at idle your not making power, the engine is really only producing enough power to keep itself turning over so there should be relatively little heat.

I to have seen far to many threads about cars with ADC radiators have temp problems. I would never get one.

Considering the Turbo, the oil cooler sounds like a bloody good idea as this can create a lot of extra heat, also the turbo location can effect airflow through the engine bay depending on it's location.

Do you have your own thread as I don't really want to pollute Sens. thread but I'm sure plenty of folks can help you sort out the over-heating issues.

My suggestion would be

1. oil cooler
2. radiator

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
I don't want to pollute Gary's thread either but may I add what I did try once witch was a epic fail, normally In my car I run a AU style twin thermo (thanks cava for advising it u have no idea how drama u saved me) and that's on a cheap 3 core alloy radiator myn keeps cool not a problem even on the day myn sat on the dyno in 40 degree heat it kept its cool at half way on factory gauge and block/head temp and oil temp not exceeding 80 degrees

Now when I was trying to fit my blower crank brace I tryed my old 16 inch fan with a 2500+ cfm flow ratings and also had 2 by 9 inch fans on the front pushing air through the radiator all flat out constantly, I managed to make it about 7 km doin 50-60 km/h before my only option was to get onto fast roads to do 90km/h or pull over

So my thoughts are a vary large part of it is to do with air flow transferring heat out of the radiator, well it was in my case and 3 thermos with no shroud designs did not work at all

Status
Not open for further replies.