Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR SS

StrokedLyfe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS S2
yea i dont want it to be a hastle to start.. she starts really well and always has so i'd still like to retain some of that peace of mind but who knows as this is the first time ive jumped into 383 territory.. im still in my nappies :p

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Compression ratio will increase power across the whole graph. You can run big cams with lower compression.

If you go edelbrock heads you can run an extra point of compression.

You can buy a TKO T5 off tremec and it will handle all the power you can throw at it.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Thanks for sharing your ride, a m8 just picked up an SS the same model and colour for a grand a few weeks back. Showed him yours and what it could be as inspiration, he likes it lol.

StrokedLyfe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS S2
I still want to keep this somewhat streetable with the occasional trip to the strip but I have decided to get 590 heads from COME and Sam aswell has recommended a 286 crane cam but still not rushing to get a cam yet..
As for the TKO T5 off tremec i will definitely look into this!

StrokedLyfe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS S2
Thanks for sharing your ride, a m8 just picked up an SS the same model and colour for a grand a few weeks back. Showed him yours and what it could be as inspiration, he likes it lol.
ahaha cheers mate and ive still got a long way to go too...

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
There are better cams available today than ol' 286...try camtech range.

Factory cast heads with 2.02 valves & mild portwork or just cleaned up will do the trick.

If it were mine I'd have gone easier 355,10.5-11:1 cr,maybe f280 or tighter camtech recomendation,clean up cast heads with larger valves & come single plane.3.7 gears...streetable weekender combo that'd make mince meat out of a t5.

383 is nice to have just means more coin & a lot more labour involved.

Are you putting all parts together or engine builder giving you list of parts?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
There are better cams available today than ol' 286...try camtech range.

Factory cast heads with 2.02 valves & mild portwork or just cleaned up will do the trick.

If it were mine I'd have gone easier 355,10.5-11:1 cr,maybe f280 or tighter camtech recomendation,clean up cast heads with larger valves & come single plane.3.7 gears...streetable weekender combo that'd make mince meat out of a t5.

383 is nice to have just means more coin & a lot more labour involved.

Are you putting all parts together or engine builder giving you list of parts?

Alloy heads will make more power across the whole curve. They don't just give you a peak power number but improve low down torque too.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Why spend several thousands more that streetcar doesn't even need when it's not needed.

Alloy heads are overkill & usually too big for most street setups losing torque down low...weight saving helps but not ast those prices.

Besides that cast heads done by the right person will be more than enough & streetcars don't need all flash bs parts

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Why spend several thousands more that streetcar doesn't even need when it's not needed.

Alloy heads are overkill & usually too big for most street setups losing torque down low...weight saving helps but not ast those prices.

Besides that cast heads done by the right person will be more than enough & streetcars don't need all flash bs parts

Thats all wifes tales.

A set of edelbrock heads is not that much more than a portes set of stock heads.
The revised port and chamber designs on 90% of alloy heads increase torque everywhere accross the rpm range.
The improved chamber design and temperature control of alloy heads allow for at minimum one extra point of compression whithout getting detonation. The one extra point again gives you a torque increase accross the entire RPM range.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
So you believe the advertising & that you can bolt part straight on with awsome results?

If only that were true,rarely that easy with old ass holdens